At Last... The Project Begins....in The Garage!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hello Guys, you may remember me twittering on in November/December about the 'Big Winter Project Outdoor Run'.... The first question is 'Where did the winter go?'. The sensible reasoning telling my gardener 'not to worry there is plenty of time, is being questioned when he fell from a tree and broke his wrist bad enough to require surgery!! So the two feet deep hibernation pit needs digging and at the moment my lovely partner David is avoiding eye contact. But on a plus note I had taken the plunge, sought out a joiner and discussed torture requirements for a luxury home with insulated walls and sun roof extras. Today was delivery day. I am not sure what I expected.... Well I am sure.... I thought it would come ready to use. It came in a variety of sections for a DIY put together. Actually it looks great....my disappointment was only I wanted to see it working!!! So excitedly I have been to Homebase and bought some animal friendly waterproof stain stuff.... Wood coloured for inside and blue for outside....and tomorrow I start painting. I guess from a slow start things will come together. I have been reading past posts and thinking a basking light and separate UVB light strip may be better than a combined bulb in Tort Lodge. Any advice will be useful x x x hugs x x

#2 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Obviously I didn't have any 'Torture' requirements with said joiner... It should read 'Tortoise' .... Hugs and smiles x x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi Stellanne,
Great to hear you're taking the DIY plunge. :) Please let us know how you get on with the enclosure. Maybe post some pics? ^_^
Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Will certainly post pictures.... Tried to take them of the 'kit' but couldn't get in the door... Can't get to the washer, freezer, fridge, bird food, etc, etc, etc... Great it is school holidays... X x. Hugs x x

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ooooh that sounds exciting! :D

What plans do you already have? Is your new torty lodge with its hibernation pit going to be a full height enclosure? Will it be a year round home?

My torty pad is up to about plan 'K' now, the days of no eye contact have been replaced by raised brows, wide eyes and scowley chops!! :lol:

Paula x

#6 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hello Paula... Hopefully it will be an all year enclosure. I would like all torts to hibernate in the pit, and emerge in the spring. Amelia my tort who escaped in the 1990's used to do this and I kept her for 20yrs. sadly scrumpers left a gate open and she wandered when I was on holiday. I have since found where she is and she is doing ok.. What I am doing from the start is making an area that works.... Then I can develop big and bigger style... And work the eye brow look and the scowl... With boy treats..... X x x hugs x xx

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hello
would love to see some pictures,in my torts outside house i have one uvb strip light and two basking lamps,one in each side as it is sectioned off,one side for H the male and the other side the girls Becky and Humpty,middle section is high enough so they dont climb over but the rays from the uvb is given off into both sections,my torts house is also used for hibernation.Best of luck,keep us posted.
Jaynex

#8 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

That is all part of my plan Jayne...separate for boys and girls.... Does your day light go over two sections and then two basking heat lights in each area. Can't wait to get started!!!! X x x hugs xxx

#9 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hello
yes,the strip light runs through the width of the house but the partician is not to the top,the male has one basking bulb in his side and the girls have one there side they are wired in series plugged into a timer switch.If i remember right i posted some pictures way back in the outside tort enclosures,that may help if you cannot find i can always post some pictures through to you.
Jaynex

#10 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

I remember seeing them Jayne....,first job....?painting/waterproofing bits in the garage and praying Matt's wrist mends quickly!!! X x c hugs x x

#11 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is it.......in all it's glorious pieces......I am mega pleased with it. Cant wait to get it together so I can see the various compartments cos at the moment it just looks like bits of a jigsaw. Excited!!! x x x hugs x x x

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Blimey! :o That is going to be just amazing! :D

Bailey and Boos new mums are deperately looking at ideas.. just wait till they see this! :lol:

Paula x

#13 Guest_welshtort_*

Guest_welshtort_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Wow that looks super my guys would love it!!
Sian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users