Whistle When Breathing

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

hi im after some advice one of my hermanns is making a whistle noise when breating every thing is fine eating etc shes very active her nose area is all clean now ive searched this and it said substrate being to dry so yesterday i went to b and q for more top soil and added this but shes still making the same noise will it take a few days to come right or do i need to take her to the vets to check for respiratory infection thanks :) :wub:

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hi Karen - my opinion is that this might be problem or it might quickly go away. If it was me, I would wait a few days and see what happens. Sorry if this isn;t all that helpful but whistling can be caused by different things including respiratory infections. If the tortoise continues to be active and dry at the nose etc then this probably isn;t an emergency.

#3 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

hi ozric thanks for that ill wait and see how she is over the next couple of days,and go from there :)

#4 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hello Karen.... The two tortoises I rehomed last year whistle when they breathe. Obviously I was very concerned after my experience with Michelle so had them very quickly checked over... They were fine and as yet remain very healthy. I do plan another health check this year for them before they begin their summer adventures as it is always reassuring to consult the experts. If this was my tort I would consult a vet just to be sure x x x hugs x

#5 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

hi stellanne it is hard knowing what to do as shes fine apart from the noise,maybe i should get her checked over if there was a problem i would,nt want it getting worse thanks :)

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi Karen,
If this is the first time you've noticed her whistle when breathing then I think it would be wise to bring her to the vet for a check-up. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

What would cause the 'whistle breathing' with a seemingly healthy tortoise. As I said both Bubble and Pebble whistle... But both appear very healthy. Before they came to me their diet was not the best and their living accommodation could have been better. They have signs of rapid shell growth. However, apart from the whistling they appear very normal. But then so did Michelle .... X x c hugs x c

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Stellanne,
My guess is and I'm no expert, that with a tortoise that whistles when breathing there might be a respiratory infection. Then again MBD(Metabollic bone disease) and a history of shell deformity may cause irregularities in the breathing of a tortoise that may be otherwise healthy. In a tortoise were the problem cannot be determined it would be wise to seek the opinion of a professional. That way possible causes for the whistling may be be eliminated. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

thanks freddy ive kept an eye on her today and the noise seems to have stopped what i red when i did a search was if the substrate was to dry there nares dry out and also low humidity can cause this thats why i added new damp topsoil,not sure if this is right or whats made her stop but ill keep an eye on her and take her to vets if it starts again :D

#10 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Am I thinking I should be worried about pebble and bubble in the long term. What questions should I be asking the vet? X x x hugs x x

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Am I thinking I should be worried about pebble and bubble in the long term. What questions should I be asking the vet? X x x hugs x x

Hi again Stellanne,
Maybe just mention the whistling to the vet next time you visit and see what he says. As you say the tortoises are otherwise healthy and in my opinion should live out good lives. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

thanks freddy ive kept an eye on her today and the noise seems to have stopped what i red when i did a search was if the substrate was to dry there nares dry out and also low humidity can cause this thats why i added new damp topsoil,not sure if this is right or whats made her stop but ill keep an eye on her and take her to vets if it starts again :D

That's great Karen. Sounds like that simple answer may be the right one! Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi Freddy.... When I mentioned the whistling the vet seemed very unconcerned... But feel regular checks helps my confidence. When you try so hard and give so much care and love to torts... And then that doesn't seem enough (michelle)... Well .... .... I still miss her x x. Hugs x.

#14 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi Stellane,

I don't mean to upset you or anything but mine was doing a whistling sound when breathing (I heard her while she was sleeping) and she actually developed an RI...so I would def take her to a vet. Other symptoms that mine had was a clicking noise when breathing and retracting her head in the shell for no reason. Her nares were dry (started to get wet after around 3 weeks) and was eating normally.

I hope that this is just a false alarm and all is well with your tort.

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Stellanne, it might be better for your own peace of mind to have Bubble and Pebble checked over by the vet. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#16 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

My trials with Michelle and RI have been well documented on this forum and I hope others will learn from my sad experiences. However, my new torts do not show the signs of RI and I do check daily... But they have always whistled with their breathing and they do appear healthy.... My consultations with my vet continue z x hugs x x

#17 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

My trials with Michelle and RI have been well documented on this forum and I hope others will learn from my sad experiences. However, my new torts do not show the signs of RI and I do check daily... But they have always whistled with their breathing and they do appear healthy.... My consultations with my vet continue z x hugs x x

Poor Michelle. I had a personal interest in her as I remember her problems well and advising you at the time. She was a beautiful tortoise and you went through a long trial with her. So sorry she didn't make it. I think if that unfortunate experience is anything to go by it shows that you know your tortoises well and are in the best position to determine what is right or wrong for them. I'm sure everything will be OK with Pebble and Bubble and I wish you the best of luck with them. Take care Stellanne.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#18 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

hi stellanne it must be harder for you with whats already hapened well got up this morning turned all lights on and the noise is back so im gonna ring the vets when there open see if i can get her in today find out whats going on better been safe i think :)

#19 Guest_Stellanne_*

Guest_Stellanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Thank you Freddy... You know I took on board all advice as I wanted the very best for Michelle. As you can tell I miss her painfully still but I am moving on... Slowly. And Karen, I hope all goes well at the vets.. Please keep us updated on what is said and advised x x x hugs x x

#20 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

will do im there tonight at 10 2 6 so hopefully will get it sorted :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users