Jackson Ratio Scale

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

i know I am being a bore (my hubby keeps telling me there is nothing wrong) I have just measured Ronnie and Rex and weighed them both as well Ronnie si 120mm (4 1/2 inches) and weight is 240 grams ( he has maintained this since getting him oct 2011) Rex is 87mm (3 1/.2 inches and weighs 140 grams he has also weigh this since october he was 75g when we got him oct 2010 so Im happy with the gain) just concerned they are both under weight for the size, Rex is eating well but seems very lethargic over past few weeks his temp in table is at 80 during day Ronnie is in same enclosure but very active both torts are brought out into the family room during the day at some point any suggestions is Im doing anything wrong I over winter them both on salad bags from supermarket and any dandelions I can find mainly fed on lambs lettuce romaine and rocket i really am worried about Rex being so lethargic thanks everyone x

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi Debby,
You are certainly not being a bore. We are a friendly bunch here and enjoy lending a helping hand.
I have checked both Ronnie and Rex against the Jackson Ratio Chart of this forum.
Ronnie is indeed underweight but this could be due to the fact that he is such an active tortoise.
Rex is not too bad probably because she is less active.
Another reason why tortoises can be underweight or lethargic is worms.
If this continues it might not be a bad idea to take poo samples to your vet for examination.
He can also give them a general health check-up at the same time. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

thanks for the reassure Freddie a big help both torts seem to eat loads but normally only get fed once a day might increase this was always advised to feed to size of shell x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Your welcome Debby. Both your torts are eating well so it's not worms. They would normally go off their food if this was the case. Take care.
Best of luck.
Freddy

#5 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Thanks again Freddy some posts have suggested Rex may have worms this is reassuring

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Just to add to your confusion Debby... :wacko: Neither of my little guys went off their food when carrying worms... :) Sorry Freddy, just sharing what happend in my case.

I think a sample for the vet to test would be a good idea, just to be sure.

With regard to the shell covering for weeds Debby, this really is just a starting point. Leaves are of different density, bristley ox tongue for example is much heavier than a hawksbit leaf of the same size. Regular weighing is the best way to judge the amount to feed. Although slow growth is recommended you should be aiming for about 2-3g per month for youngsters. You can adjust the food intake to get it right. Another spanner in this rule is that torts might not gain consistently through the year instead having growth spurts. :wacko: This is why I weigh mine weekly (a bit over the top I know) but then I can keep an eye on how they do over a period of time.

Paula x

#7 Guest_gwenq_*

Guest_gwenq_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

I weight mine weekly also, but I am totally paranoid when if comes to my babies!! A tip I was told many years ago when I thought Sam had worms was to put him in a warm bath under the spotlight for about 15/20 minutes as it encourages them to expel, best to do it in a clear container, then put the container on a piece of white paper in daylight and you just might see an odd worm!! it works for constipation too! (FYI he did have worms, many, many many worms!!!!)

#8 Guest_gwenq_*

Guest_gwenq_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

oh meant to add, there is a site called Tiny Tortoise which has a Jackson ratio calculator, you just add the weight in gms and length in cms and it works it all out for you.

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hi Debby,
I would have to go with what Paula and Gwen say. They have had experience of worms with their tortoises and I have not. Normally, tortoises go off their food when they have worm or protozoan loads but as Paula says this is not always the case. Best to take a poo sample to your vet for examination. Here is a link you may find useful http://www.tortoiset.../parasites.html
Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

thanks guys, I think Rex was constipated, I hadnt seen her poo in last 2 weeks ( i know it seems along time but having the 2 thought I must be imagining it ) I bathed her every morning and she passed urine every couple of days, today she has done the biggest poo I have ever seen, quite hard and offensive I have examined it and no worms visible also she is more lively thanks again x

#11 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

forgot to add Im abit obsessive with weight aswell normally weigh them both after weekly bath x

#12 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hi all, there is a new measure for weights for tortoises which was worked out by Adrian Hailey. Quite a lot of people are using this. In many ways it is an improvement on the Jackson Ratio as you can factor in things such as the sex of the animal which is very relevant to its healthy weight at a given length but not accounted for in the JR.

worth a look perhaps:

http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm

#13 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:10 AM

ive used this before i found it alot better than the jr chart thanks for the link :)

#14 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Hi all, there is a new measure for weights for tortoises which was worked out by Adrian Hailey. Quite a lot of people are using this. In many ways it is an improvement on the Jackson Ratio as you can factor in things such as the sex of the animal which is very relevant to its healthy weight at a given length but not accounted for in the JR.

worth a look perhaps:

http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm

Hi Debby,
I have followed the excellent Adrian Hailey Link provided by Ozric and have completed the calculations for Ronnie(120mm/240g).
According to the figures he is extremely under mass.
Have you measured both tortoises correctly?
You need to measure the length of their shell underside or plastron.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Freddy

#15 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Ooooh that's a new one to me, thanks Oz! .....She rushes off to find the little guys weight charts! :lol:
Shall certainly have a look at that. :)

Paula x

#16 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

did you have a look paula what did you think :)

#17 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi Karen,

I had mixed results... :rolleyes:

Princess Hettie Hermann my pampered female came out at 109% ... a moment on the lips and all that!
My two big girls were similar, the two younger females were rather light only achieving 83% I was aware they are light from using the JR. They are due out of hibernation next weekend. I can feel the difference when handling them, the younger ones feel more ... hollow?
I just can't wait to see them now, I have some time off work later in the week so may just get them up a little earlier!!

Paula x

#18 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

Paula I have a thought that your two younger females will make up that weight within a couple of days of waking. They will take on some water and have afew nibbles and they will be a good weight then. Great to see Hettie doing well on the scales!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users