Over Eating And Oiling Shell.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hevs_*

Guest_Hevs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

I have a lady at my work (who is a bit of a know it all) she has two tortoises which her daughter gave her last year as she could no longer keep them.

Long story, short.

I’m not asking her for help but she keeps telling me what to do but not in a nice way.

Each time she TELLS me what to do I have a look on here to see if she is right or not.

Latest things are:

make sure he’s not over eating and after you bath him you must oil his shell.
I have looked for both of these on here but can’t seem to find any info.

So how do I know if he is over eating and what she on about oiling he shell. They don’t oil their shells in the wild, do they?

#2 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

hi hevs you dont want to be oiling your tortoise shell with any thing just give it a clean with water when you bath him/her s to check your not feeding to much its best to keep a weight check then if he/she is putting to much weight on you can cut back alittle on food hope this helps you a little :)

#3 Guest_Hevs_*

Guest_Hevs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

hi hevs you dont want to be oiling your tortoise shell with any thing just give it a clean with water when you bath him/her s to check your not feeding to much its best to keep a weight check then if he/she is putting to much weight on you can cut back alittle on food hope this helps you a little :)

Hi Karen, Phew thats what I have been doing (clean with water when you bath him) I have been checking his weight, I weigh him every 7-10 days to make sure he doesn't loss weight. But I'm not sure how much he should weigh and how much he should be putting on. Hevs xXx

#4 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

• hi hev what tortoise do you have and how old i weigh my torts every month my males less cause there weight does,nt change much my baby which is now 6 months old i weigh a bit more to keep an eye on her weight :)

#5 Guest_Hevs_*

Guest_Hevs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

• hi hev what tortoise do you have and how old i weigh my torts every month my males less cause there weight does,nt change much my baby which is now 6 months old i weigh a bit more to keep an eye on her weight :)

Hi Karen, I have a Hermanns he is 6 months old. xXx

#6 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

i would try and aim for 2/4g a month my babys a horsfeild and weighs about 53g now how much does yours weigh

#7 Guest_Hevs_*

Guest_Hevs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

Today he was 75g hope thats not too much xXx

#8 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

i would,nt worry too much i dont check my babys lenght against weight i just keep an eye on her weight and how she looks hopefully someone else will be on soon that might be able to help a bit more the main thing your trying to do is grow you tortoise slowley and a nice smooth shell :wub:

#9 Guest_Hevs_*

Guest_Hevs_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ok Karen, Thank you for your help. His lenght at the mo is 60mm and yes he does have a nice smooth shell. xXx

#10 Guest_gwenq_*

Guest_gwenq_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hi Hevs

I have a 13 year old hermanns who I had as a 6 month old, I can only tell you what I did/do with him, I am no expert but he has grown with a perfectly smooth shell, so I must have done something right.

As a youngster I weighed him every week, I tried to do it after a poop as that can make a big difference!! I aimed for 2/3 gms a month but it didn't always work out that way, I wrote down his weight every week and length every month or so. I never worried about a large increase any one week as it usually sorted itself out. So dont get into a panic about it, I would just weight him weekly and record it. You will be able to see over a longer period of a month or so if he is putting on too much weight too quickly. I have Sams records from when he was a baby, it's hard to believe he was that small. I have a 5 month old baby now as well and I do the same with her, infact when I got her she was 33 gms, the week after she was 36 gms and this week she was 34 gms. I always split her daily allowance and feed her twice a day. Also add nutrabol to one meal a day, the easiest way is to put it in a new salt or pepper shaker and add it the way you would add salt to your chips!!!!

As for oiling the shell, when they are cleaned with warm water and a soft toothbrush they shine naturally!! and there is nothing nicer or more handsome!! Don't forget to give the plastron a wee brush as well!!

Hopefully this has helped a bit. Do you have the heating and lighting sorted? That can be a bit confusing at times as well!! If I have given you any wrong information hopefully someone will correct me!!!

#11 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi I oiled my torts only once as I was advised by a know it all this was correct then someone asked if I would sit under the sun with baby oil on I havent done it since, I weigh my torts most weeks they havent gained weight over the winter but havent lost either hope this helps enjoy x

#12 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hello Hevs
sounds like this lady does not visit tort forums,try and give her some good advice and hopefully she can join,i remember been told from the breeder that i bought H from to oil his shell but found out straight away from this forum not too oil,i weight my torts monthly after there bath and write it down it also gives a good check on how they are progressing throughout the year ready for hibernation and also it helped me with knowing when my female was pregnant and when she had laid.
Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users