UV Light

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bacardiman_*

Guest_bacardiman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

Hello

Im new to the tortoise world, bought a vivarium setup 2nd hand, and a tort from a petshop.

Daft question time.
i have it all set up, apart from the UV Light.
How do i get the cables in to the light strip without cutting big holes in the mesh part of the top of the vivarium ?

I looked in the pet shop viv's, and they have small holes with the cables thru.

Any help, much appreciated.

Craig

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

hiya vivariums arnt the best place to house a tortoise, but if you have to make sure they have a cool spot to cool down and a hot spot. you must either take the top off or take the glass doors off. the more holes you put in your vivarium for the air to circulate the better.

The best place to house a tortoise it on on book case (on its side) for an adult. For a baby a large container. For the heat use clip lights that clip to the side (with a goose neck) one with a spot light for heat and one for UVB. hope this helps.

#3 Guest_bacardiman_*

Guest_bacardiman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

okay, i'll make holes in the roof mesh for the cables.

so, why do UK pet shops sell u a viv then ?, make more money ?

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

yes just to make money, pet shops dont keep tortoises in the best conditions, you are best buying from breeders. I went to a pet shop today and the tortoises were in vivariums and selling tortoises for 165 breeders normally sell them for 85-100. vivariums are fine tho as long as there is a hot and cold spot and plenty of room for your tortoises to run around. are you taking the doors off your viv? have you been to the vet with your tortoise yet for a check up?

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:02 PM

Pet shops need to make a living Craig and who better than conning Joe Public :-)
Even an old draw would be ok for a small tortoise. Here's some thing what is needed in both cases a combined UV/Heat lamp is used, bit costly but saves on wires and were a UV tube only last 6 months these are reckoned to last 2 years so works out the same, also they can be used in out door heated set ups but UV is a bit more awkward. Try to adapt what you have by removing doors or turning the viv on it's side
http://www.tortoiset...rtoisetable.htm
This is what they should have, remember this is only for young torts
Arnie

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

There you go again Arnib

I own & run a pet shop & believe me The welfare of all animals in my eyes is more important than money,
I dont really need to work, But I do so as a hobby and to keep me busy. And I enjoy what I do especially when I help people with there pets.
I know there are a lot of bad pet shops out there who rip people off saying they need this and they need that, and giving the totally wrong information just to make a quick buck, But we are not all like that and I'm certainly not like that, I regualary discuss to customers in great depth about husbandry and the proper way to look after Tortoises and tell them that Vivs are leathal. I also go out of my way to order herbiseed off the internet for people and supply it to them with out making any money at all in fact I only charge the 8.00,for it.
And do you know why I do it.. Because I care and I am tring my hardest to try to educate people who haven't got a clue.

And I too HATE the fact that there ARE pet shops out there selling animals and not giving the correct information and filling customers with #####! But it also makes me angry when all pet shops get slated all the same, Because NOT All pet shops are bad.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#7 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Hi Craig,

Something like a tabletop enclosure while they are young is perfect as they provide an airy & healther atmosphere & easier to keep clean,
When they get a bit older they can be moved to a well secure enclosue in your garden. But make sure it is preditor proof & Escape proof.
My Hubby made me a Table top enclosure out of a potting bench which didnt cost very much money and put skirting boards round the sides so they can't climb out. Below is a pictur for you to see, and if you like you can visit my website.
Hope this helps a little and Welcome to the forum.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#8 Guest_nikki_*

Guest_nikki_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

Do you sell tortoise in your pet shop Calamity Jane?
Nikki

#9 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

well said calamity jane!! im sure there are gd pet shops, like ur own, out there but there are alot of bad ones too - and poeple need to know about these bad ones! welll postd!

#10 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:32 PM

Joanne while there are bad pet shops I will still go on again and again.
I try to help people on this site and it seems in most cases the animals that are sick or the new owners that have all the wrong equipment have all been purchased from pet shops, so don't tell me what I can and cannot say, if your in the trade get out there and do something about the standard which these animals come from, not put people off that are trying to help them
Arnie

#11 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-09-05 AT 05:52 PM (GMT)]arnhib
I Am Not telling you what you can and cannot say!!!
I am simply Trying to get my view across That NOT all pet shops are bad. Just like you try and get Your view across.
This is a free forum for all,
Why is it You Think you are always Right and when ever someone speaks there mind you get very agressive towards people and spit the dummy? We are all entitled to an opinion you know.

Just like to say I dont sell animals Or Tortoises in my shop Just Tropical & Cold water fish and all my fish are either bred by myself or bred in this country.
I NEVER buy imports & never will Not even fish, because they have a heart too.
If anyone asks me about pets I always send them to the Local animal refuge, Because their are far too many neglected and unwanted animals out there with all the breeding thats going on.
It really saddens me that people only breed to make money,
& dont give a second thought about the poor animals.

Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#12 Guest_bacardiman_*

Guest_bacardiman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

im sorry if I started an arguement here....

A couple of more questions if I may.
Its a 3 yr old Horsefield, so.
How often should it eat and drink ? or volume
What about bathing ?
Do i need to do anything about hygiene ?

thanks I just want to ensure I give him/her a proper happy life.

Regards

Craig

#13 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Hi Craig,
It is really difficult to give hard and fast rules about exact quantities to feed. The growth rate of the tortoise depends not only on the amount of food eaten, but also the type, Some people say to feed only as much food as would cover the shell. You could try that, Also fresh water should be available at all times as they like to wade in and out and he/she will soak and have a drink. I bath mine twice a week.
Hope this helps a little.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#14 Guest_kategore_*

Guest_kategore_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-09-05 AT 08:12 AM (GMT)]Oops! Posted in the wrong place!

#15 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

Why is it You Think you are always Right and when ever someone speaks there mind you get very agressive towards people and spit the dummy? We are all entitled to an opinion you know.

I have never claimed to be always right and you are the first person that has called me aggressive, so from now on I will sit and watch and let you help every one on here that asks for help
Goodbye Joanne, good luck, make sure you never slip up, as I'll be watching you
Arnie

#16 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

i agree with arnie. every pet shop i have been in have not been in it for the love of the animal. it is nice to here that there are people out there for the love of animals not just money. where is your shop Calamity Jane i would love to visit?
But i totally disagree about what you said to arnie he is brill, he give the best advice and is the only one who isnt nasty towards people.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

sorry that was me who posted the last post (by lowe) I logged in as my boyfriend by mistake oops

#18 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

I also think arnib is very knowlegable and he has helped me along the way with my tortoises, He knows more than most on here.I have learnt loads about tortoises by visiting this forum and as I Do have a Pet shop It gives me a good opertunity to explain what i have learnt over the years. I always advise people they dont need vivs and heatmats and tortoise food.Some people listen & some dont want to know because of what the other pets shop told them, and it gets me anoyed and angry when they dont take my advice, But at least I am trying my best to get the message across. All I was saying was Not all pet shops are bad meaning Mine,
I genuinly care for the welfare of all animals.
So lets stop all this and carry on helping people.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#19 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Sorry Joanne

But how can joe public tell a good pet shop from a bad one?
If you know your shop is good, why take offence?
99% of pet shops are out to make a profit, not to worry about the welfare of animals.

Amy

#20 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

Because most good pet shops DONT sell pets.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users