UV Light

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi Joanne

But petshops still want to sell vivs etc which are not good for torts. Heatmats which are not good for torts. They try to sell you goods that are not needed for tortoises. They have to be informed which most are not.
It is good to see some like yours are informed and dont, but joe public wont know good from bad without being informed, which most here will do. But here members have nearly always have been mis informed and bought expensive equipment they dont need.

Amy

#22 Guest_Radicaldave_*

Guest_Radicaldave_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

If you are using a ViV make sure that there is plenty of air going round, i have cut a wide strip from the backboard of mine which was only thin wood, one of my glass doors has been removed this lets the air exchange much better, do not mist the tank with water the humidity is not good for the tort and the tank will stay humid for days you can also remove humidity by using a good dry substrate. The tort needs space, build an extra enclosure onto the viv so i can get out and walk round,

Do not use heat rocks at all, and if your using a heat mat make sure its a good one that will not harm the tort because they like to dig, also make sure it only covers 1/3rd of the tank. If you want to put water in use a shallow dish and give baths outside the Viv again this prevents humidity problems. Respiratory problems are very common in reptiles due to incorrect temp's and humidity find the sweet temp and humidity for your species and check your temp and humidity guages daily. Not got some ? GET SOME!

#23 Guest_kategore_*

Guest_kategore_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hi Craig,

What a furore you've caused! It's a good job this is on the internet and not face-to-face or it might end in fisticuffs! lol

I'm new to torts too and I very nearly bought a tortoise and an enclosed viv from a pet shop as the staff recommended (it was one of the BAD ones, Joanne!) but stumbled across some good tortoise sites when I was checking out viv prices. Here's a couple:

www.thetortoisehouse.com

www.tortoises.net

If you find it hard to adapt your viv like Dave suggests, why not get something like an old bookcase or cupboard from a junk shop to use as a table-top enclosure and sell your viv to someone with a lizard or snake or whatever it is that's supposed to live in them?

Good luck with your tort.

Kate

#24 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
I have never claimed to be always right and you are the first person that has called me aggressive, so from now on I will sit and watch and let you help every one on here that asks for help
Goodbye Joanne, good luck, make sure you never slip up, as I'll be watching you
Arnie

Anrie I will never slip-up.
If I dont know the answer to any questions I dont reply.
I dont know everything and like most of us on here we probably learn something new all the time. So why say goodbye and just sit back.
We are all on this forum to help each other and get advice. We should all respect other opinions. Keep posting your opinions and pass the knowledge on.
Oh and Blondesarah I'm in West Cumbria 10-12 high street Wigton to be precise The name Is P J Aquatics I look forward to seeing you!!!
Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#25 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

End the arguing and bickering please.
This site is surrposed to be 'family friendly' and what are young kids going to think...?

Perhaps you should join the arguing forums and leave this one.
This is a tortoise forum and people are here to help, so please do so.

All people have there own likes, dislikes, do's and doníts, but just read and take it on the chin!!

PLEASE END THE FLIPPING BICKERING!
Thank-You!

Craig and the shelled mob!

:)

#26 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Arnie

please dont stop answering questions you are one the best ppl on ere for giving out advice :)

#27 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

There is no need for you Micheal to talk down to us, It's not so much what the argumaent was about but the way I was spoken to

((Why is it You Think you are always Right and when ever someone speaks there mind you get very agressive towards people and spit the dummy? We are all entitled to an opinion you know.))

I am neither aggressive or do I make the assumption I am always right.
This is the part that insensed me so.
I am here solely for the welfare of the animals. And part of this is to stop people buying from pet shops and dealers
For these reasons alone and because Emma asked so nicely :-), I will carry on checking this forum.
But not because you said

"PLEASE END THE FLIPPING BICKERING!"
Arnie

#28 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-09-05 AT 05:12 PM (GMT)]
www.tortoises.piczo.com

#29 Guest_james14_*

Guest_james14_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:00 PM

Glad your back on the forum!! :)

Craig

#30 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:48 AM

Arnie,

I haven't posted many messages in this forum but I keep reading them.

The advise you give is ALWAYS friendly, competent and very helpful. If you don't know the answer for sure you always say and that's great. You are honest - not agressive. I fully understand that you are angry about that comment - I would be. Because it is not true.

I'm glad you are back here.

Best wishes
Katrin

#31 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

There is no need for you Micheal to talk down to us, It's not so much what the argumaent was about but the way I was spoken to

((Why is it You Think you are always Right and when ever someone speaks there mind you get very agressive towards people and spit the dummy? We are all entitled to an opinion you know.))

I am neither aggressive or do I make the assumption I am always right.
This is the part that insensed me so.
I am here solely for the welfare of the animals. And part of this is to stop people buying from pet shops and dealers
For these reasons alone and because Emma asked so nicely :-), I will carry on checking this forum.
But not because you said

"PLEASE END THE FLIPPING BICKERING!"
Arnie

thank you arnie
;-) :*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users