Is Harriet Going To The Toilet Too Much?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DanC_*

Guest_DanC_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hi guys,

Got a light problem with my litle tortoise in that I think she may be going to the toilet more often than is normal.
I see people saying they dont see any poop for a week but I find I'm cleaning her out as much as twice a day. For some reason she tends to do it in her food bowl too!! What would be a normal "poo rate" for a 3 yr old Hermans?

Also the other thing I've noticed is that when she does go she tends to sit in it which is making it very difficult to clean off.
Any suggestions?

#2 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

My 6 year old will go once a day but sometimes she may go a few days without going, however my babies go alot more often. x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi Dan,
What your tortoise is eating, how much and how often as well as temperatures can determine the frequency of her pooing.
Lettuces, crispy floretti or other supermarket foods can cause stools and diahrroea. High temperatures can compound the problem causing dehydration and frequent pooing. A dish of water and regular baths should always be provided.
Feeding her a selection of high fiber, edible weeds ( a shell size amount is usually a good guide) and providing suitable temps can often lead to a noticeable improvement in a tortoise's toilet habits. Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Freddy

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hello Dan
I clean my torts out daily,and sometimes they poo in there baths.My redfoot tort can go two days without pooing but when he goes he goes its huge.Bless him though he has never ever pooed in his home he always waits until he goes in his outside enclosure,the winter time was difficult he had to go outside daily just to do his business,he's well trained.lol!!
Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users