• Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:31 PM

Here's some worms that came out of one of my females just after I got her
Arnie

#22 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:26 PM

Jesus Arnie are you keeping tortoises or Big Foot???? Those worms are BIG and UGLY! Can any one better them?

What poor tort did they come from?

Mike

#23 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

Hi Mike,

Where did you buy your babies from?? was it a pet store??? I ask because its extremely rare to have worms in captive bred babies.

#24 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

Hi Jo,

The tortosies are Imports from a guy in the Midlands with article 10 paperwork..

I kept Tortoises some years ago so a few months back I bought some books had a good read and off I went with my updated knowledge on husbandry. After searching the net for 'tortoise for sale' and seeing prices of 100+ for CB04/5 I came accross a right bargain and promtly visited the guy and parted with a lot less cash than expected. The guy kept them 20 to a plastic tray 2ft by 2ft so I had no problem with offering 5 of them a new life.

As my need for knowledge expanded I started reading more and joined a few forums including this one. It is only when reading in these forums have I come accross imported CB tortoises being taken from the wild. I would never condone taking any wild caught and may have inadvertantly helped fuel the trade but on the other hand I would have thought CB in these countries where they have the habitate would be much more prolific.

So my bargains were not without pitfalls as obviously buying from a good breeder would have left me with worm free and healthy torts.

Mike

Mike

#25 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

Dont beat yourself up Mike, there are thousands of people who get conned into thinking its a captive bred tort, me included. My first tort was wild caught and he died after 3 weeks :-( and I was devasted. I read everything I could after I lost him, vowing never to make the same mistake again and try and help the countless other tort lovers to help spread the word, at the minute its the best we can do. DEFRA havent got a hold of the situation at all, there are literally thousands of illegal torts landing on our shores every day and plenty greedy dealers only too happy to pass them on at huge profits, and never with any concern to their new homes or welfare. The term 'captive farmed' is a grey area too, it can often be interepreted that if you own a piece of land, your entitled to take whatever you find there :-( They are shoved, en masse, into tiny boxes, often mixing with other species, which is a breeding ground for worms (as you've found out). The worms are always the first clue, my vet (a tort owner) has treat countless torts over the years, and swears hes never had a CB tort with worms.......you'll probably notice by reading the archives its normally the first question asked for 'sleepy' or 'quiet' torts, especially recently acquired.
At least you know whats up with yours, and its being dealt with, so hopefully they'll be fine, they are perking up and eating, which is always a positive sign.
Take care

#26 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Jo,

When I went to get them I was so excited I forgot to put my Cat box with blankets and hot water bottle in the car ready for the trip home back! So I borrowed a box from the seller. See the pic! This shows how many poor little torts are mixed together in 1 little box.

Mike

#27 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

Thats typical of a 'dealer' box :-( According to my vet, he finds more pathogens passed from hermanns to horsfields, hope all those poor torts were the exception.

#28 Guest_Freddy_*

Guest_Freddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

can i ask this might sound stupid but how do they get worms?

#29 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-10-05 AT 09:30 PM (GMT)]Hello Nick
Not a stupid question at all, they can pick the eggs up from anywhere, bird dropings other torts droppings, the eggs stay in the grass and the tort grazes on the grass, swallows the eggs and they hatch inside the tortoise, in turn the worms lay more eggs in the tortoise's stomach, the tort passes them and the wholr cycle starts again.
This is one of the reasonw it's always best not to put hatchlings on areas where older torts have been, with hatchlings being so small they run a high risk of any cures they have to take
Arnie

#30 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:43 PM

Well the sad news is that Zebedee the tort in the picture died on Saturday. I reckon he/she never recovered from the infestation. He was being stomach fed and on anti biotics but still failed to pull through.

The lesson for you all is don't wait for the worms to cause a problem but be proactive and get the worming done before you have any problems.

Regards

Mike

#31 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

Hi Mike
So Sorry to hear of your sad loss.
My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users