My Baby Tort Has Stopped Eating

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_amy_*

Guest_amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

hi i have a small hermans it almost 1 year old and has eaten fine since it arrived last august. i recently moved it into a slightly larger habitat as it was getting to large for its original one and it seems to have gone off its food. should i move it back into its old habitat. thanks

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi Amy,
Hermanns' are very sensitive to change. It will probably take your little one a little while to get used to the new enclosure. She should start eating again soon. My advise to you would be to try and replicate the heating, lighting and substrate conditions of her old enclosure. Try not to worry things will work out fine in time.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

hi amy as freddy said they dont really like change, but your little one will come round i have a male horsfield that sulks even if i add fresh topsoil, dont worry he/ she will be fine :)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Brilliant second post Freddy.... Still getting used to the site after the hacker experience! Lol!! Torts do not like change Amy, so it is best not to worry too much. Just make sure you are doing your bit and your tort will eventually come 'round'... When I collected Georgia the only time I saw her was when I oinked her out of hiding for a bath... I guess the advice is... Don't worry x x

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

Brilliant second post Freddy....

Hi Stellanne,
Not too sure whether that's supposed to be a compliment or insult. But I'll say thank you anyway!lol :lol: My second blank post has now been deleted! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Certainly a compliment Freddy.... X x x

#7 Guest_amy_*

Guest_amy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

hi thanks very much for the reassurance, little t started eating again today. i think you are right it was having a little sulk. i have kept her conditions the same to and she seems to be settling in. thank you again for the fast reply's its very much appreciated. my only other concern is that she may have been gaining weight too fast she is 11 months old and weighs 66grams and has an 8cm long shell. also i think its encloser may be a little boaring but every time i have given it anything new she will be upside down within 10 minutes are all baby torts so suicidal i check on her almost every half hour now and she has nothing to cause her to flip herself under the light thanks again

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

hi amy the weight sounds ok to me my babys 8/9 months old and weighs 66g so not growing to fast,i also car,nt put any thing in her table as she,ll try to climb it and then ends up on her back i dont even have a hide in cause she kept climbing that and falling off,all i have in is some plastic plants the ones you would put in a fish tank and she sleeps near them :)

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Amy , as the others said, they are easily unsettled when their environment is changed. There is no need to revert to the old small accommodation, your tort will come round. Don't forget in the wild they often don't eat for days, if they don't find food.Then they hibernate in the winter too, they can mange without food for quite a while and come to no harm :)

#10 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

My two spent most of last year upside down...I didnt have the heart to turn the habitat into a place with no stimulus. They still do it from time to time. I've one who climbs a hebe sapling to have a look around and a munch because she cant see out of the sides of the new enclosure. Sometimes falls out of the sapling and has to be righted. Going upside down seems to be a bit of a phase..a hazardous way of learning about ones limits. As for the hiding, my two are hiding from the sun at the moment when they go outside in the "ouside box" setup.They seem to think sunlight=end of world..hoping its just another phase

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Don't forget in the wild they often don't eat for days, if they don't find food.Then they hibernate in the winter too, they can mange without food for quite a while and come to no harm :)

When active, tortoises can usually only go a month without food and that's provided they drink water.
Otherwise malnutrition and illness sets in.
During hibernation a tortoise is inactive. Its metabolism slows down and it expends little or no energy.
Instead it survives on fat reserves and so food is not important at this time. ;)
Freddy

#12 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

In my little guys enclosure I didn't want to add a hide for worry of him tipping while I was at work. I added a small low shelf for him to hide under without it being an obstacle on the floor.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users