Ollie taken last winter
Posted Image
Winnie last winter
Posted Image

The lads a few weeks ago
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Actually looking at these, I better ease off on the feeding a bit...

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I don't know what you are looking at Greenslider, but they look fine to me, I don't see any pyramiding or anything, just two lovely tortoises :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

hi greenslider they look ok to me beautiful tortoises :)

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I agree. Lovely little ones. ;)

#5 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi Chris..the growth "rings" if we could call it that on the scutes have increased in the last 3 months. I had growth rates of 2g per month last year and even a loss of 2g in Ollie last November..didnt want that obviously but they werent good enough on the Jackson ratio to go Sleepies and Ollie sulked a bit and was torpid for a few weeks..
So come February I decided to mimic spring and give them a bit more weeds and cultivated stuff (campanula, aubretia,nasturtium and cornflowers..all grown from seed. growth rates from Jan have now jumped to : ( all measurements taken end last week of month) Winnie Jan 54g.. Feb.58g.. Mar 63g and Ollie Jan 52g Feb 56g Mar 61g. As we speak ..they purged this morning Winnie is 66g and Ollie 64g

#6 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I am no expert, but I thought that there are natural growth spurts at certain times of the year even in the wild?
In the wild those juicy lush new plants would be eaten freely in the spring too, are you going to mimic nature and offer less in the summer when in their natural habitat the weeds would become a dry hay? Perhaps only prolonged overfeeding would be a problem?

Beeeeautiful babies!

Paula x

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

morning my baby has done the same gains weight steady then has a growth spurt her shell looks fine and she seems healthy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users