Female Agression Towards Other Female.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Anything Tortoise, gardening, walking keeping fit.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Can any one offer me any suggestions and advise regarding a problem with 2 of my Females.
My collection consists of a male and 2 females in one enclosure, who get along very well and in my other enclosure I have a male and female who have lived together very happily for some time as a very relaxed bonded pair. I have a 4th female who although being the same age as the female in the 'twosome'enclosure, is 200 gms lighter. My problem is that when I try to introduce the 4th female to the 'twosome' the larger female makes a b-line for the smaller one and mounts her. This makes the smaller female hide in her shell quite understandably and is making it impossible to let her live with them and become part of their group. My idea was to have my two enclosures with a male and 2 females a piece. Why would a female do this to another female? I have to keep the smaller female on her own in a viv with the doors off rather than let her enjoy my outside enclosure. I havent tried her with the established threesome as they are much much older and larger than she is. The oldest female is over 1kg and she weighs 300 gms. Is there anyone who can explain this behaviour? Will it ever improve? Do I need to let her mature on her own and grow some before I try to introduce them again? I dont like her being in the viv, even tho the doors are out of it and it is more like a tort-table on its side. It must be a tad boring for her when she could be enjoying the planted garden in my Tortoise enclosure. :(

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi Suzi,
Female torts can often display their dominance . This is quite common. I would keep both females separate for the time being as such constant bullying could affect the health of the smaller tortoise. Perhaps when she is a little bigger and older you could re-introduce them.
It might also be worth considering putting a divider in the outdoor enclosure. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 SuziRed71

SuziRed71

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Anything Tortoise, gardening, walking keeping fit.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hi Freddy and Ozric,
Thanks so much for your speedy replies to my problem. You have confirmed what I sensed was the case. Dandelion had started to stop eating which is why I separated her from Marigold and Murtle a couple of weeks ago. As soon as she was in her own space she nearly had my fingers off for a plantain leaf ! Marigold obviously has a very assertive nature... Nothing ever puts her off her dinner...not even when Murtle fancies a 'cuddle'....lol. I shall continue to keep Dandelion on her own and work out a divider so that she can go outside and still share the basking lamp in my outside enclosure without coming into contact with Mardi Marigold. Thanks so much for your help. It is a pleasure to be a member of such a great network :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users