• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hey everyone! Last night I became the proud owner of a 2 year old Hermans tortoise Shelldon. I had him through friends who know someone who rescues them. He came with his own large vivarium. I would like some help though please as Im a little worried he doesnt come out of his shell. What has happened since last night..........
I noticed when he was taken out of the vivarium he would stay in his shell and not come out...also would make a deep breathing noise (as if you were breathing hard through your nose) everytime you moved/touched him. Thinking he was scared or nervous left him to settle into his new home. About 10 mins passed and he decided to have a little peep out of his shell so i put some fresh cut dandilion greens and salad greens sprinkles with a pinch of Arkvits in his food dish to settle in,still no movement. I tried to tempt him by holding some food near him but,no, he wouldnt come out so left him to settle. Slowly he came out of his shell, went passed his food and nested in the corner of his tank under some timothy hay. This is where he remained until this morning where I turned on the vivarium light for him, left it about 40 mins he still wouldnt move so I gave him a little bath in luke warm water to see if there was a blockage and tempt him out of his shell. No he is still refusing to come out. Does anyone have any ideas/tips please?Attached File  shelldon.JPG   1.56MB   54 downloads
Thank you

#2 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Ragged breathing could indicate respiratory infection. However, torts and turts will expel air out through their nostrils quite loudly, if disturbed or frightened..a hiss.. I find that if one changes the environs for these animals there is usually a period of protest ..and they refuse to engage in any activity. Weigh it..bath it for 20 mins every morning..keep basking temps at hot end 30-32c and at cold end 21-24ish...and dont handle unless absolutely necessary....you have lamps? You will neeed either a n MVB (not recommended in an enclosed space like a viv I'd guess) or more likely a 60w reflector bulb and a 10.0 UVB strip (changed maybe 2 times a year) Vivs arent great I'm told, I've never used them so i dont know..but some keepers on other forums suggest there is a link between vivs and respiratory infections in torts from semi arid/arid environs. Above all else, the tort mustnt dehydrate If there isnt an improvement within 3 days its off to vet with ye both I'd think.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

hi shelldons mum welcome to the forum :) as said vivs are not very good for tortoises,they dont have very good aircirculation or good temperature gradient,do you know what temperature your getting in the viv? i agree dont handle him/her unless you have to and keep up the baths,also i think you have a horsfield tortoise there not a hermann :)

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi There,
It is important that you hydrate your tort with regular baths. A viv is not ideal for a young tort as it gets quite warm and has poor air circulation. Perhaps you would consider an open top enclosure.
It can take a new tortoise a while to get used to his new environment. I would give him a little time to settle in. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thank you all for your lovely welcome and swift replies! It does seem that shelldon is a little nervous and frightened as this deep exhale/hiss only happens when he is picked up. I will leave him settle for most of the day before I weigh him. As I only recieved him last night I was unsure of what set up Id be having, I was told that I would be recieving everything I needed so only went out and bought Arkvits and Tetra tortoise complete food. When he arrived I was a little dissapointed to see him in a viv as I had read that they are not very good for the tort. There were no temperature indicators and only one light which (to me) looks like an ordinary clip in house hold light bulb. I was expecting a basking light and a UV light atleast.
I was told his papers are being sent in the post and until then I guess Ill have to wait to find out if Shelldon is a hermann or horsfield - I was told he was a hermann..but hey it wouldnt matter who cant fall in love with any of our shelled friends! :)

#6 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Shelldon's mum,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Plenty of people here will happy to help you get things right for Shelldon. Hope the little guy settles in well soon.
Do Horsfields need paperwork guys?

Paula x

#7 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Russians/ Horsefields don't need paperwork at all...the one breed sold here that doesn't. No idea why..They are "ranched" (folk wander around collecting them..put them in an enclosure to do the business and then collect and incubate the eggs. Part of the deal is that a percentage of the hatchlings are meant to released in the wild but the story goes that the animals are not necessarily released in places from where the breeding stock were taken)..loads of emotive material available from the TT and BCG if you want to read it..They need to burrow, so deep substrate is advisable..keep humidity low though(they dont like it) and the lady I know has a little network of half pipes for them to wander around in..all of the pics she posted look like photos of happy, crusty mudballs..not the shiny, highly coloured, fellows one sees in the shops. Diet the same as hermannis and graecas. They dont like humidity and have reputations for awesome appetites...they hibernate for a larger proportion of the year than med types. Loads of keepers out there so theres no shortage of info..

#8 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Thank you Paula! :) He's still in his shell quite a lot and doesnt move about for the last few hours he's been cuddled up in his new half log hide away. I did manage to weigh him and he's 9oz (300g). For those more experienced tort lovers is this about right? I'll keep you guys posted, and will in no doubt ask A LOT of advice.
Thank you all :)

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

morning shelldons mum do you have any more pics? i keep horsfields there a lovely tortoise,as oz said it will take time but he,ll come round,maybe think about his housing indoor and out,you,ve took his weight i would write it down somewhere then you can check again in a months time make sure he has,nt gained to much or lost weight,if you can measure the underside of the shell in mm try to be accurate ill check his weight/length for you :)

#10 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Attached File  shelldon 2.JPG   1.92MB   44 downloadsAttached File  shelldon 3.JPG   1.75MB   48 downloadsThank you Greenslider - very informative. In reply to Ozric and mildredsmam please find attached pictures that Ive just taken of Shelldon. He seems to be settling in slowly, but is still very nervous of his new surroundings and of people. Thank you so much milderdsmam for your kind offer, which I'll deffinatley take you up on. Ive not long bathed Shelldon and dont really want to bother him again today to measure him so will do that over the weekend and get back to you :)

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

hi no problem any time i look on most days :) and you do have a horsfield :)

#12 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thank you Mildredsmam. Atleast I know what breed he is now. Will keep you posted....Thanks again x :)

#13 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

hello and welcome to the forum
look's like you have a horsefield,i have three horsefields i think they have great characters, with outside enclosure make sure it is escape proof as horsefields love to climb and dig,hope he settles in soon,if you need any help dont hesitate to ask.
Jaynex

#14 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Jayne! Thank you so much. Will deffinatley be keeping an eye on him when he goes outside (just waiting for a nice sunny day).

Hello Mildredsmam! Just measured Shelldons underneath and he's 95mm (9.5cm) Hope this helps....thank you x

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

hi just had a look for you hes a bit over,just keep checking his weight every couple of weeks,try and get him on a weed diet only if you have a look on the forum you can see what weeds,flowers to feed,i would order some limesone flour which is good calcium powder and sprinkle on the food a couple of days a week different days to the vits :)

#16 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi Mildredsmam! Many thanks for checking up for me - I really appreciate it. Yes will only feed weeds for a while. However he doesnt seem to have an appetite at all. To be honest since we've had him we've only seen him eat half a cherry tomato as a treat to get him to eat something x

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

hi he.ll eat when hes hungry try not to give treats you want him to eat what hes ment to when i 1st got my male male horsfield he did,nt eat for weeks :) he soon come round :)

#18 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Aww, he is very sweet. I have Hermanns but I know horsfields love to dig so it might be worth having sterilised top soil for the substrate. Also does he have a slate to eat off? this will help keep his beak trimmed down.
One of my rescue tortoises was very shy at first, it's taken a good 4-6 weeks for him to settle in. He's getting there but still won't eat when I'm looking at him.lol :wacko:
When I first got him he was kept in a viv, I swapped him to a table straight away and he adapted really well.
He'll be a completely different tort once he's settled. :D

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

I agree with Lynne.. My latest rehomed tortoise Georgia was in a Viv for 9 years. She is in a tabletop at the moment but we rarely see her as she prefers to hide. Once I get her out of hiding she will go under her lamp and eat her weeds. She enjoys her bath which I do every few days. I can't wait to get her outside cos it is a place she has never been. I am just hoping we get some fine weekends soon as I want to be around to observe her outside for a short while x x slowly I think for the transition x x

#20 shelldons mum

shelldons mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Hi Lynne! Gosh your rescue tortoise sounds just like Shelldon...he's getting there slowly but surely - but like yours doent like being watched when feeding. No he doesnt have a slate to eat off he has a reptile dish and there is cuttle fish....but thanks for the tip, a slate is something I'll deffinatley invest in along with sterilised top soil :)
As for the viv for now I've taken the glass frount off and turned it into a table of some sort and added a basking light and a UVB light as what I recieved him in was making me feel very concerned about his well being. A proper tortoise table is something I'll deffinatley invest in the near future.x

Hi Stella! Yes with you just waiting for a nice fine day to get him outside and see what he's like in an open air enviroment.....lets just hope we didnt get our summer in March! x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users