• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi I am new to this forum and we have a 6 year Herman called rocky. We are trying to build him an outdoor enclosure. We just had a shed that we partition off for him to go in and out into the garden. Can anyone advise me on the temperature that the shed should be day and night. Also I like so info on what hermans like to have outside do they like grass or muddy. I am planning to put a shallow water tray in lots of weeds for him climbing area shade.

Got lots of ideas jut just want to make sure what we do is right and our little man will be happy.

Thanks

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Posted Imageto the forum Katy, you will get lots of invaluable help & advice on here. I am relatively new to tortoise keeping, so probably not the best person to advise on outdoor temps, ours hasn't been in an outside enclosure yet.

I do know that grass is not supposed to be so good for them.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

hi welcome from me :) if you have a look through the forum theres some great pics of other peoples outside areas could give you some ideas :)

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum. Top soil is usually the best substrate for an outdoor enclosure, although a mixture of topsoil and grass is also fine. An all grass enclosure can present problems particularly in damp conditions as it can cause fungal infection and shell rot. If you are planning to use a shed as part of your torts enclosure you will have to provide a UVB light and a heat lamp for days when it is cold. Shed temps of around 20 degrees during the day and no less than 12 degrees at night should be fine. Otherwise it would be best to bring your tortoise indoors. As others have said you will get a good idea of what others are doing by looking through the outdoor enclosure section of this forum. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your help will update pics soon

#6 Mendoza

Mendoza

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

so probably not the best person to advise on outdoor temps, ours hasn't been in an outside enclosure yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users