17 replies to this topic

#1 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hello!
My Partner and I have been looking for a perfect pet, we live in a city center apartment (but it has a massive shared garden and allotments).
We had been considering a Hermann tortoise, and recently one has fallen into our laps!

She is 6years old.

Our original plan was to set up a 'tortoise corner' in our open plan flat, complete with heat and UV lamps, food and water bowl etc.
However after reading literature it seems that having the tortoise in a completely open environment is not a good for a Hermann tortoise? Or is it?

Secondly we have just found out that this tortoise does not seem to have been kept in very good conditions, from as far as we can tell she has lived exclusively in a vivarium and has only been fed lettuce...this has lead to her shell being 'bumpy'. Is this something that they can live with, if we return her to the correct diet can she be healthy again or atleast live a happy life?
Could it be possible that this has caused further damage that cannot be treated? (We dont want her to die as soon as we bring her home!!)

She has also never been hibernated, we were told by a man in a pet shop that his means that she will try to hibernate in a cold spot (under a sofa) and will probably not survive hibernation as she is so under nourished?

All this is making us think twice about taking her on! But also at the same time makes us want to take her even more to rescue her!

any advice would be welcome!!

A very confused prospective owner
xxx

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hi Charlotte,
Personally, I don't think it would be fair to keep a 6 year old tortoise in a corner of your flat all day. At that age they require access to an outdoor pen and plenty of fresh air. I know you would like to rescue her but she would require these things to have a good start with you. Of course if you were planning to move somewhere with a garden things would be different. But for the time being I think the best you could do would be to keep her with you for a short period and then ensure that she got a good home.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Freddy,
She wouldn't be kept in a corner, she would have free reign of the flat (Its pretty big) and we would also make sure that we took her out in the garden to wander around regularly.
I appreciate what you are saying though!

Poor little thing, i feel so sorry for her :(

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hi Charlotte,
If you could provide her with a safe outdoor enclosure, I would say yes. Otherwise, I would take her for a short period and then ensure she got a good home. That way you would be doing your best for her. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Charlotte,

Sounds like this lil tort could do with a bit of TLC. :(
People do keep their pets indoors with an artificial set up including heat lamps and UV through the worse months of the year and often overnight.
Is it possible to build an enclosure in the garden where torty can spend his day times?
He certainly won't hibernate under the sofa. Torty needs low temperatures to hibernate. Your flat, unless fridgelike, would be too warm. If you chose not to hibernate you would need to provide heat and enough UV to trick torty into thinking it is summer and staying awake.
A correct diet would help torty stay healthy, the bumpiness won't smooth out but you can make things a whole lot better for this little guy than a viv and lettuce!!
If you do decide to keep him there are lots of people around to help you do your best for him.

Paula x

#6 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi Charlotty, welcome to the forum, just by the fact that you have found this forum and are asking questions, shows that you will probably be the best people to take this tort on and give it a decent lifestyle & diet.

Is this tort free or are you buying it? As Freddy said, if you can be sure the tort can have access to real sunshine in the summer months in a secure area outside, then I would say definitely go for it. :)

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

hi charlotty welcome to the forum :) as every one has said as long as you can give an outside area for the summer should be fine, also in time you could look into hibernation for over the winter, tortoises dont like change so might take some time to settle in, good luck let us know how you get on theres always some one around to help with housing,diet etc :)

#8 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for all your help :) I think it would be possible to create somewhere for her outside in the summer months (If we ever get any!)
He is giving her to us free of charge, even throwing in a few freebies (Which I will probably run past you guys before using!).
He claims that he does have a certificate but 'doesnt know where it is and will send it when he finds it' which i guess is why he isn't asking for any money!
Im so excited to pick her up!

xxxx

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Your comment about the weather surprised me Charlottey, are you in the UK?

The only thing that would concern me about your tort being outside in a shared area on the warmer days, is of course the worry that she might be stolen. Other than that, I am sure she will be fine. :)

Enjoy your tort and keep us informed.

#10 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I am indeed in the uk, It doesnt seem to have stopped raining where I am in weeks!!
Our flat is like a fortress, so I think she would be pretty safe!
xx

#11 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

we live in a city center apartment (but it has a massive shared garden and allotments).

I was going by this comment, I assumed your place didn't have a private garden, as mentioned previously, your tort will need some fresh air & sun. :)

#12 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

We do have a shared garden but also a smaller enclosed one at the back of our flat :)
xxx

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

i bet you car,nt wait to get him/her you will have to post some pictures when you do :)

#14 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

We do have a shared garden but also a smaller enclosed one at the back of our flat :)
xxx

It sounds fab, please keep in touch. Can I ask is Charlotte your name, or the torts? :)

#15 Charlottey

Charlottey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Its my name :). We are picking her up on monday!
xx

#16 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Do let us know all about it Charlotte. :)

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

hi charlotte let us know how she settles in :)

#18 snowqueen75

snowqueen75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi I have just joined this forum too and Its lovely you are giving this poor Tortoise a home. Let us know how you are getting on with her? x

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, problems, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users