Shell Curling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zannabites_*

Guest_Zannabites_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:33 PM

Hiya,

First I must thank the forum for all the help so far, usually when we have a problem we can find the problem has been discussed on here!

I just have a small question, I have 2 torties (as pictured - after a bath) and they have been fine and eat lots of weeds, very active and seem quite happy. But the little one at the front Polo, There are transparent bits of deveolping carapace at the rear that are beginning to curl up (above polo's rear legs). Which I don't think should be curling up.

If its a calcium deficiency maybe - they have vitamins added to food (neutrolbal)and they have a cuttle fish.

I just wondered if there was anything I can do to counteract now, or if this is normal in anyway. This is not happening on Columbus (the larger one on the left) (I have had them 3 months, and its only happened in the last week or so)

Any ideas help would be apprechiated.

Su

#2 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-10-05 AT 02:33 PM (GMT)]Hi Sue,

I know a hermann who also has a lovely flared shell at the rear, altho hes not supposed to have it :-) Are the clear bits at the very edges? If you can post a pic of it (taken from rear) we could have a better look at it.
Nice looking torts btw

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

Joanne's right some torts do have flared shells over there rear legs, Sulcatta's have them over there front legs, some of my babies have this slight clear shell at the edges, I just make sure they have plenty of calcium and eventually it colours up
Arnie

#4 Guest_Zannabites_*

Guest_Zannabites_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

Thankyou both,

I am sure then this is normal, thanks for the reassurance, and Polo will look great with the curly look. I have posted a pic,its not the most dignified, but I think you can see.

Thanks again

Su

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'm looking at the top photo, yes mine are similar, I'll try taking a photo tomorrow of one of them to let you see others can have it,
and the bottom photo, yes it's going to have a lovely flared carapace
Arnie

#6 Guest_Zannabites_*

Guest_Zannabites_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

Great, thanks for your help.

Su

#7 Guest_Fordie_*

Guest_Fordie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

I came on here today to ask the same question as i have a 3 year old Hermanns tortoise and have been reading up about them etc and seen horror pictures on websites of tortoises fed on incorrect diets etc and noticed my tortoise looks like that at the back end and i have exactly the same concerns!. Not so much the transparent bits though but just the slight curling above her back end like in the pictures on here. Although i am also concerned about her diet too. When we got her approx 6 months ago we fed her on a mixture of lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cress, carrot, tomato etc as thats what we were told they ate when we bought her, we have a D3 mix we sprinkle over her food too and thought that would suppliment the lack of goodness in the lettuce etc, however after reading more i tried introducing more plants into her diet (dandelion, clover, pansies, rose leaves and petals etc) i also bought some cuttlefish, but she just isn't interested, and won't eat them.

#8 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

Torts are stubborn and often get addicted to all the wrong foods, just keep offering the good stuff, but not rose leaves just the petals, altho mine wont touch roses :-( You can buy weeds seeds, it called Herbiseed and is available from www.tortoises.net you can grow it in seed trays indoors, its a mixture of 20 wild flowers and weeds. There is also a downloadable weed booklet which will help you know what your looking for :-)
Hope this helps

#9 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hello Craig
I'll try and put a photo of one of my adults with the flared skirt, Hope this is what you mean, I have to smile, I have 4 Marginata's who I always assumed had flarted skirts, but my 4 don't show any sign of a flare, :-) Never mind
Arnie

#10 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

Hi I think Marginata get their flares when they are a lot older.

Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users