• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 billie

billie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone can offer some advise regarding my tortoise. Dash is 2 years old and I have had him/her since september. I decided not to hibernate her as I wanted to be sure she was healthy (she was bought from a breeder). She spent the winter on a table under a heat/uvb light and was active and eating well.

About 3 weeks ago I moved her outside to the greenhouse, where she has access to an outdoor enclosure. I bring her in on cold nights still and she has her heat lamp to warm her up on chilly mornings. I have always offered her dandilion and a salad mix (as there were not enough weeds through the winter). She has always been fussy with the dandiliion and eaten the salad.

Since moving her outside she wont eat anything. She spends her days burying herself. She weighs about (our scales are not very acutate) 102g and has a jackson ratio of 0.17. I give her about 3 baths a week in warm water.

She never goes outside, and i worry that she will overheat in the greenhouse. should I be worried about her lethargic behaviour and refusal of food?

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Billie

#2 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi Billie welcome to the forum. :)

I wonder if it is to do with the new surroundings, the lil guys don't like change and so she could be just getting used to the bigger area. Does she have small hides within the greenhouse, somewhere she may feel safe?
Also the weather has been particularly bad for the last few weeks. I realise she warms up before she goes out but a small tort will also cool down quickly, do you think she is warm enough?
Is there a chance you could add a small enclosed run to the outside of your greenhouse and provide an exit?

Paula x

#3 billie

billie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi Paula, thanks for your reply. She does have access to an outside area but she never chooses to use it. Sometimes I physically place her outside but she always returns inside and buries herself. She has several places where she can hide, which is what she does all day. How long can tortoises go without eating? Hopefully she is just adjusting to her new set up, but I can't help worry that she is starving herself.

Billie

#4 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ah they can be stubborn lil devils! :wub:

Don't worry for now about her not eating. They can hold out for quite some time, if you could 'up' the baths while she isn't eating it would be good as being hydrated is more important than food at this time.
When do you offer food? Perhaps you could try after her bath as I found mine used to eat well after bathing? Or once warmed up in the morning before being taken to the new enclosure? She might feel safer eating there?
Keep an eye on her weight, record it and then if you should need to visit the vet you will be able to go armed with information.
Let us know how she gets on?

Paula x

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

hi billie welcome to the forum :) i agree the weathers rubbish at the moment stiil quite cold maybe to cold for your little tortoise,you could always leave him/her in the indoors table for a few more weeks and then try the outside one again when the weathers a bit better see if it makes a difference, also tortoises dont really like change so if your moving him between two enclosures he might be a bit unsettled,hopefully we,ll get some warmer weather soon :)

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hello Billie and welcome to the forum. I have found that the weather has a big impact with the way torts behave. They tend to know when there is to be a thunderstorm for example and make their way to safe undergrowth. Lots of things can upset day to say life and I guess at the moment the most important thing would be bathing whilst she is not eating. X x x hugs x.

#7 billie

billie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I have brought her in and I think I will keep her in until it warms up a bit, hopefully she will get her appetite back soon :)

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

thats great hopefully she,ll start eating soon let us know how shes doing :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users