• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi, I have just bought a tortoise, the shop said to get a viv but after reading up I'm unsure what to do, is it better to just give him a run of a bedroom if I have a heat lamp and a uv lamp in the corner? or I do have a big tortoise table ?

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image to the forum Lewis and welcome to tortyhood, how old is your little Hermann and what do you call your tort? :)

You will get lots of advice and help on here.Welcome to the forum Lewis and welcome to tortyhood, how old is your little Hermann and what do you call it?

I am sorry, I don't think this is what you want to hear, but a viv is really not recommended at all, neither is the run of the room.You really would be better off getting some sort of a table, whether you buy a ready made one, build one yourself , or use a rabbit hutch turned on it's side, or the like. There are many reasons for this, your tort could get stood on in the bedroom, it will need a substrate, preferably a soil sand mix, it will also need a darkened hiding place, with a lid. Also it will probably not get enough UV light in a large space. You will also need an outside run, with a shelter, for when the weather is better, so your tort can get some real sun & fresh air.

You will get lots of advice and help on here.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

hi lewis welcome to the forum :) is it a hermann tortoise that you have? vivs are no good to house a tortoise,some shops will tell you that you need these things just to make a sale,a tortoise table is much better for your tortoise, i agree i would,nt let the tortoise have the run of the room better in a table where he,ll feel safe,have a look around the forum try and get as much information as you can any questions you have just ask every ones very friendly and helpfull on here :)

#4 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Ok thanks, i do have a tortoise table, it has 2 floors, I'm just a bit unsure how to connect a heat lamp and a uv lamp to it or how high it needs to be? Any pictures that I could see would be great? Is soil good for them to walk on ?

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi Lewisfox,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tortoise. Topsoil is the best substrate to use for your torts enclosure. If you look through the indoor enclosure section of this forum you will get some good ideas from what others are doing. Hope this helps. :)
Best of luck! ;)
Freddy :D

#6 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi thanks for the advise :) going to sort everything out over the weekend and ill get a picture posted so you can let me know what you think.. will i be able to get everything i need for a reptile shop? i.e the topsoil?
also how oftern do they need cleaning out?

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

hi you can get the topsoil from b and q or some other garden centre, your best spot cleaning every day old food and any mess they,ve made, post some pictures when you,ve got your table sorted see if we can help any more :)

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi!
Best to spot clean your torts enclosure every couple of days. You may also need to get the topsoil from a garden center or similar. Everything else, a good reptile shop should be able to provide. Hope this helps.
Best of luck! ;)
Freddy :D

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Snap Karen! :lol:

#10 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hi, got my table sorted :) after a long hard day of building! Iv got a picture but can't upload from my phone so will post one tomorrow.. Tha is for the advise

#11 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Please do Lewis, we are looking forward to seeing both your tort and your architectural skills ;)

#12 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Not got uv lamp on yet as fitting for the light broke :/
any where good to order one online?
Let me know what you think and advise on making it better :)

thanks

Attached Files

#13 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

That looks great, I see he has a roof terrace as his basking area. ;) We just bought our uv lamp from the local pet shop, but as it was a small edison screw fitting we had to go to B & Q to get a lamp holder with the correct fitting. You will need to get one asap, in the meantime make sure he is getting spells outside to get some real sunshine whenever it is possible. If you have the lamp. why don't you just take it with you to B & Q, they are open on a Sunday and get a lamp holder there?

You will need to fix the other end of the table to the basking lamp so that most of the table gets the UV light except for his sleeping area.

From the photo,he looks like he may have a lot of food in that dish, tortoises need to be fed sparingly (roughly enough to cover the size of their shell daily) or they will over feed and get deformed shells, they need to grow slowly. :)

#14 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Thanks :) so the uv needs to be at the far end where the food is?
Ill get that done today then :)... am i done after that ? lol

Ahh and how many times a day? i just keep filling it up when its gone :/ ill stop that then !!

#15 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

What about if i have 2? one at each end?
Well i have been feeding 2x a day so ill cut it down 2 one.
Thanks, a few blisters on my hands now took a full day.

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

hi lewis i agree with oz you,ve done a great job with your tort table,your uv needs to be at the same end as your heat :) i also only feed my torts once a day on a morning :)

#17 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Oops, sorry Lewis, I bow to more experienced members. My two lamps are close together, but I couldn't see from your set up how you could fit your UV next your spot lamp and how the UBV was going to cover all the table from there, but I am sure you will work it out without needing two.

What are you feeding him on? I guess you know he should be on a weed only diet, lots and lots of them at the moment with all this rain, supplemented with calcium?

Here is a link to the Tortoise Trust Website you might find useful: http://www.tortoiset...plantfoods.html

#18 Lewisfox

Lewisfox

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah I'm feeding it weeds from park :) just don't know which ones to pick?

Got uv lamp done down :) all sorted I think.

#19 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

hi thats great have a look around the forum theres plenty of pictures of the weeds your tortoise can eat, you can also buy seeds to grow your own tort food :)

#20 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

That's one lucky tort, he is going to be looked after very well, you have done a great job on his table. If you are on Facebook I recommend you 'like' tortoise friendly weeds and flowers and as mildredsmam says there is plenty of info on here too. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users