Norman And Hazel's Diet :)

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

I'm feeling especially pleased with myself as I've found yet another weed to add to Norman's diet, which he wolfed down earlier.... Here's my weed foraging journey so far.....

I started with the basics:

Dandelion
Dandelion.jpg
Smooth Sow thistle
SmoothSowThistle.jpg
Prickly Sow Thistle
PricklySowThistle.jpg
Clovers
RedClover.jpg
WhiteClover.jpg

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Then I found:

Bittercress
Posted Image
Shepherds Purse
Posted Image
Nipplewort
Posted Image

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi Kelly,
Sounds like you are providing Norman with some top nosh. Best of luck on your weed journey! :lol:
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Then these little lovelies were also added to the selection:

Ribwort Plantain
Posted Image
Broadleaf Plantain
Posted Image
Goosegrass
Posted Image
Vetch
Posted Image

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

It was the first time he'd tried vetch today and by the speed with which he ate it, I'd say he enjoyed it :D

#6 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hey that's great Kelly, even finding and mastering one new weed at a time soon leads to a mixed diet. :D
Cats ear is another that is springing up all over the place here just now... except in the tubs where I sowed the seeds last year!! Try google images and see if you have any luck, it is quite an easy one to ID... it feels furry, like a cats ear. :lol:

Paula x

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Is this it, Paula? I found some of this yesterday and have been searching through my wildflower books trying to identify it....

Posted Image

#8 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think it is Kelly, I may have posted pictures in the weed section some time ago but not sure if they still show. I will see what I can find on my computer if they are not there.

Paula x

#9 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

The leaf is quite thick to the touch and a bit furry. It didn't have any flowers on it when I found it.

Yay! another to add to the selection. ;)

#10 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

This is a much older plant, it starts off low, but that is how it feels, it is too early for flowers yet. Google image just to be sure but I am pretty confident.

Posted Image

Paula x

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I've had a look through a load of images on google and the Tortoise Table and I'm 100% sure it's cat's ear. If you hadn't have suggested that I keep an eye out for it I don't think I would have ID'd that one until it was in full flower. I'll try him with it in the morning..

There's been nothing he hasn't tried that I've offered so far....He's a real piggy! lol

#12 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ahhh! :) That's good then, hope Norman enjoys his breakfast :D

Others about right now include forget me not, herb robert (not a fav), bisley ox tongue, speedwell, garlic mustard, and hawksbit is just starting here... oh and mallow. Happy hunting!
The first year I had Hettie I kept a diary of what I found each month as I realised I was searching for weeds that were not even available at that time, as if things weren't confusing enough already!!

Paula x

#13 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I only got Norman in Sept last year, so all I could find over the winter was the basics like dandelion, clovers, sow thistles, bittercress, shepherds purse, plantain and once I even found nipplewort!!

Now the spring is here I'm adding more and more every day. I feel quite the weed expert now! lol

#14 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

I've found another place where there's a nice crop of vetch today. ;)

#15 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

That's great Kelly. :) Sounds like you have it sussed. Hope the studying is going well. Take care. Talk soon.
Freddy :D

#16 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

I found a HUGE Hawsbeard plant in my front garden today!

Posted Image

Yet another weed to add to my ever growing selection that I can identify. ;)

#17 nickyandtim

nickyandtim

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

just logged into www.tortoiselady.co.uk seeing it from Kelly's posts, some nice info on here. x

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

yes the tortoise ladys good you can order seeds off her to grow your own food http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#19 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

This weather is good for something..... The weeds! ;) I found yet another today on my weed foraging.... hedge mustard

Posted Image

I'm just glad I went out earlier this morning.... It's absolutley teeming down outside again now. :o

#20 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I've found another couple of plants which are O.K to feed in moderation as part of norman's varied diet. :)

Lady's Mantle.....

Posted Image

and Californian Poppy...

Posted Image

Shame they're both only in moderation though, as I have LOADS growing nearby!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users