• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Eugene follows my wife and myself all over but tends to bite, is this normal?
1) will he accept another tortoise? as far as I know he hasn't seen another for about 5 years, his exact age is unknown,
2) will he accept it if it is another male?
3) what size tank will I need, he has one currently about 4 foot (w) by 3 feet (d) by 3 feet (h) that he only sleeps and eats in, it has a uv light and a red heat lamp
all help and advice appreciated.

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi Conrail,
Welcome to the forum.
Let me start by apologizing for deleting some of your post. I seem to have a touch of the gremlins tonight.
However, I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
Any new tortoise needs to be quarantined for at least 6 months.
Biting is a common problem with tortoises.
Males tend to pester females which is why a 3:1 female to male ratio is recommended.
Males also tend to fight with other males.
Vivs are not recommended because they have poor air circulation and can get quite hot especially when heating and lighting are added.
Best to provide your tort with an open top enclosure. The bigger the better.
You will also need to provide an outdoor enclosure for the summer months.
A red heat lamp is useless. Best to provide your tort with a white heat lamp.
You will get an idea of what others are doing by looking through the indoor enclosure section of this forum.
Hopefully, there will be others along shortly to offer you more, helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

thanks Freddy, I appreciate your prompt reply, I will look into an open top enclosure

#4 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :D

Is Eugene a Hermanns? If you do decide to get him some company please bear in mind there are 3 different subspecies of Hermanns which can vary greatly in size. It would be best to get the same subspecies as Eugene. If you need some help you could always post some pictures and someone on here might be able to help?

Paula x

#5 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hi Freddy, sorry to split my reply, the part missing from my original query was regarding a rescue tortoise, aged about 8 years, sex unknown at the moment but due to neglect is going to be checked over by a vet tomorrow, believed to have an infection, have been offered it if it is ok, my tortoise, Eugene is about 5 years, male and has not met another tortoise since birth as far as I know, wife and myself were looking after if for a colleague of my wife's who evaded the question of it's return so looks like it is mine, no complaints, I love tortoises but never had one since I was a child

#6 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hi Hettie, post came up after my last reply, I will take some photos of Eugene when he wakes tomorrow and post them

#7 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Please be careful when adding a new little shelled one, quarantine is essential, especially not knowing much of it's history and knowing it has been unwell. Some illnesses lay dormant and unseen in tortoises only showing when torty becomes stressed, moving home is stressful for torties, they often don't do change. :)

Paula x

#8 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

If the other one is a different species or subspecies you may have to keep them seperately forever. They have different behaviours and mating rituals and some species can damage another.

Paula x

#9 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

thanks Paula, from what I can gather this one has been neglected and daughter's friend runs a reptile sanctuary from his home and is always desperate to find homes for his guests, daughter helps and has a houseful of snakes, tarantulas and now a chameleon as she tries to rehouse them for her friend.
I appreciate your advice, my concern is for Eugene, he loves company so one thought was to get his another herman's

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi again Conrail,
Paula has given you some excellent advice on quarantine and on the incompatibility of different species. I know your concern is for Eugene and I'm sure you don't want him to catch an infection or disease from a strange tortoise.
Also, be mindful of the fact that tortoises are solitary creatures and don't suffer from loneliness.
Anyway Conrail, please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

thanks Freddy, you saying that tortoises are solitary creatures surprised me, Eugene loves company and loves to sit on my knee and be stroked, his head comes out and rests on my knee while I stroke him, he loves to be stroked under the chin
Harry

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi Harry,
It is true. Some tortoises do like a nice chin tickle. :)
Best Regards
Freddy :D

#13 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

have uploaded photos of Eugene, comments please, edited the photos but site says pics to large to upload so uploaded originals, hope this is fine,
currently considering rehousing him from viv to something more suitable

#14 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hi conrail, can you re-size your photos, we would love to see them? This is a very easy re-sizing programme to use: http://www.resize2mail.com/

#15 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Hi Chrissyan, I have a program to do that, what size do you want them?
Harry

#16 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hi Harry,

600 Pixels would be fine. ;)

Kind Regards

#17 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hi Freddy, sorry seem thick but what dimensions would that be, my program doesn't give a pixels option

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hi Harry,
Try using the re-sizer Chrissyan mentioned. It should give you a pixel option.
You need to re-size your images to 600 pixels, download it to to your computer and then upload it again to the forum.
Make sure if you are adding a message to your pics that the end cursor is on the line after your text before you upload the images.
This often catches people out.
Best of luck ! ;)

#19 conrail

conrail

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

original post was about a neglected hermanns tortoise and would it be happy with mine, daughter informs me it is quite poorly and has a lot of worms, it (sex unknown at the moment) has been wormed but if vet decides it will eventually be ok it is going to take a long time to clear the infections, vet looking at it tomorrow sometime and may decide it can't be helped, what is wrong with these people, if they don't want a pet or can't look after it there is always help somewhere, don't neglect or ill treat them,
sorry about the rant, I'll understand if moderator cuts it
Harry

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear this Harry. Some people can be very cruel in their mistreatment of animals. I hope it can be sorted and that there is a positive outcome.
Kind Regards
Freddy

P.S
Chrissyan's re-sizer doesn't give a pixel option. Please try this one:-

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users