• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Good morning folks. I just completed my monthly weigh ins and have once more reason for concern about the growth rate of one of the Hermannis. Both are fed relatively frugally, with the odd day of nothing at all but a bath..however from december to march alot of florette rubbish was fed in adition to whatever weeds could be found.. Weights are in grammes. I'll post the weights since last June and see if anyone can notice a pattern..is weight gain individual specific or is it related to gender etc? Opinions appreciated.
Winnie Ollie
June 32 32 +4 +4
July 34 34 +2 +2
Aug 36 37 +2+3
Sept 37 39 +1+2
Oct 41 38 +4-1
Nov 45 42 +4+4
Dec 46 44 +1+2
Jan 54 52 +8+8
Feb 58 56 +4+4
Mar 63 61 +5+5
April 66 64 +3+3
May 76 68 +10+4

Please note that animals did not repond well to being denied hibernation thus lost weight in early winter.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi Barry,
2/3 grammes per month is the recommended weight gain for tortoises of Winnie and Ollie's age. Florette is very low in nutritional value so it must be eaten in vast quantities to cause weight gain. A shell covering of food per day is usually a good guide but again this depends on leaf density. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi Freddy, I do the "as much as would cover the carapace" thing..and some days dont feed at all. As they are both fed the same amount..and separately.. as Winnie does bully..is there a possibility I'm not getting true readings due to a full gut? And the mid winter growth spurt would seem inexpicable due to diminished appetites they had then but the weight stuck..how many grammes could be accounted for in the contents of the gut?..10g gain for one animal seems a bit much. Would increased hydration account for it?

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

This could well be the case. :) That is why it is always best to weigh a tortoise after it has cleared its system. ;)
Best Regards
Freddy :D

#5 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Anyone see this before...thats 2g a week!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pyramiding, diet. behaviour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users