Photo

Best Enclosure For My 3Year Old Hermann - Dash :)

Wood enclosure outdoors indoors hermann tortoise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Big animal lover, I have 3 Border Collies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils and my first tortoise Dash :) Love long dog walks across the fields. Farming, keeping fit, reading, time with my family.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hi All

I have been reading a few on the topics, and am new to this.

I really want to build my much lvoed tortoise a new enclosure, either indoors or outdoors. Does anyone know the best type of wood to use, because obviously I don't want to harm her or make her poorly in any way.

She has been in a viv since she was 1year olds, but has suddenly started growing at such a rate I don't think it is fair on her anymore, and I want to give her the best life I can, and constantly keep her healthy and occupied.

I have been thinking about buying another tortoise too any ideas on this? or Do Hermanns prefer living on there own? I have seen a lot of tortoises living with others though.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Gem & Dash

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

hi gem welcome to the forum :) hopefully some one will be on soon to give you advice on the wood my hubby does all my tables so not quite sure i think most things could be used, even things like an old book case, you dont say how old your tortoise is,are you sure you have a female, im only asking as if you get another tortoise two males could fight and if you ended up with one male one female he would try and mate with her all the time which would stress her, most keepers have 3 females to one male hope this helps a little hopefully there will be others on soon to give you more advice :)

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Posted Image to the forum Gem. I am so glad you are getting Dash out of the vivarium, they really are not the best thing for Mediterranean torts, despite what pet shops say.

I can't help with wood choice, but I do know that you should be looking for something will last quite well. You could really do with an indoor table with a hide, plus an out door run with a hut.

I agree with mildredsmam, you will need to be certain your tort is a girl, they can usually be sexed after 4 years old. If you definitley have a girl, then I think you would be fine if you got another girl of about the same size, age & sub species, you would also need to quarantine the new one, before introducing it to Dash. They are quite solitary in the wild except when they are small, so I am sure she will be quite happy on her own. :)

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Natural or Scandinavian Redwood pine is probably your best bet, untreated.... if you do chose to varnish it... use yacht varnish. x :)

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi Gem & Dash,
Welcome to the forum. :)
White Deal wood, available from most builders providers, is also a good option for an indoor table.
Best of Luck. ;)
Freddy :D

#6 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Big animal lover, I have 3 Border Collies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils and my first tortoise Dash :) Love long dog walks across the fields. Farming, keeping fit, reading, time with my family.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi all

Thanks for your help. I have an old book case which I am planning to convert in to an indoor table top. Just need to reply part of the wood to make it sturdier again.

Going to build a outdoor one too only problem is my whole garden is patioe-ed. so though a child's wooden sand pit with a bottom on it should be fine, with a predator proof lid on it wire mesh or something, as I have three border collies an two inquizitive cats!!!

I believe Dash is a female, my vet checked her over and she defo has a much smaller/ shorter tail until the males which are longer.

Any ideas for best type of heat lamp to use on my indoor table top?

Thanks for all the welcomes!!! :)

Xx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wood, enclosure, outdoors, indoors, hermann, tortoise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users