hermman

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Big animal lover, I have 3 Border Collies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils and my first tortoise Dash :) Love long dog walks across the fields. Farming, keeping fit, reading, time with my family.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hey It's me again

As some of you know I am in the process of building my 3 year old Tort Dash a new indoor enclosure.

I have a few questions though:

What can I use in the bottom of the enclosure to stop the soil leaking in to the wood? Some sort of lining?

Also, what is recommended for heat and light? Do I need a new heat lamp and UV lamp?

Any help appreciated, I want only the very best for my tortoise! :)

Thanks
Gem & Dash! x

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hi Gem

For our tort table I got an off cut of vinyl floor covering for £2 from a local carpet shop and cut it to fit. On top of that we put some water proof liner we had already.

You can have a separate heat lamp and UV lamp as we do, or one of the combined. Our bulbs came from the local pet shop, we use them in lamp holders from B & Q. ;)

I am sure one of the other members can advise you about the combined ones. :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

hi gem you can also use pond liner, i also use separate heat and uv bulbs they work for me, if you already have them i would,nt buy new :)

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

And lots of varnish first.

#5 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Big animal lover, I have 3 Border Collies, 2 cats, 2 gerbils and my first tortoise Dash :) Love long dog walks across the fields. Farming, keeping fit, reading, time with my family.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks that's been a great help.

I currently have a heat (red bulb) and then a separate UV tube. This is ok then?

Thanks for the help on the lining, that's great. :)

#6 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Oh an Chrissyan, varnish for what?

#7 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Tort heat bulbs need to be white not red, The red ones are for reptiles and other amphibians.

Sorry Gem, I was assuming your tort table was made of wood so would need varnishing all over. I was particularly referring in my post above, to the bottom of the table before you lined it in preparation for the soil/sand substrate. I guess it isn't.

EDIT: I have just re-read your earlier post and you are using a converted book case, so I guess it is already varnished, if the wood is not varnished all over, do the bits that aren't, sorry for confusing you. :rolleyes:

#8 GEMSHAWY

GEMSHAWY

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

How come they need to be white? I got given a red one in the starter kit when I brought my tort.

Ah yes, any kind of varnish better? Any wood recommended?

Thanks

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Pet shops often sell the wrong housing and equipment for tortoises, they do not seem to distinguish between the needs of Mediterranean torts and other reptiles. :rolleyes: I am no expert, but I believe the red bulbs are so they can be left on at night, as the reptiles cannot see them. Torts do not normally need heat at night inside a house, so I believe the white ones are preferable. I am sure someone on here who knows more about it can explain better.

Yacht varnish is good I believe, I am sure whatever wood your bookcase is made out of will be fine. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users