• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hi all, i have built a table for my new Tort. here are a few pics. Im not sure if the uv light is at the right hight? should this be lower or higher? It stands around 40cm from the floor. The heat lamp is around 35cm. I have two themometrs in the table the hot side saying around 30 and the cooler side by the hide is at 22 both in degree's.Also should i lie substrate along all the floor and deeper in the hide? Or put something else in the main enclosure?? pls help as i really want Ya'ma. to enjoy the new surroundings. any other advice on how to make it a perfect home would be gratefully accepted. As im itching to bring my tort HOME!!!!!!!Attached File  SAM_0455.JPG   3.05MB   34 downloadsAttached File  SAM_0456.JPG   3.04MB   14 downloadsAttached File  SAM_0458.JPG   3.09MB   16 downloadsAttached File  SAM_0455.JPG   3.05MB   34 downloads

Thanks durb:-)

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

<p>The temperature below the heat lamp should be between 32-34oc so that your tortoise can reach it's optimum basking temperature. Just move your lamp higher or lower until you achieve this. x
The temperature below the heat lamp should be between 32-34oc so that your tortoise can reach it's optimum basking temperature. Just move your lamp higher or lower until you achieve this. xWhat substrate where you planning on using on the bottom of your tort table? Make sure you spread it faily deep, so your tortoise can dig about in it. Deeper in the hide would be good, so your tortoise has got somewhere to dig down into for the night.Try putting some large pieces of slate in for your tort to eat off of.... it helps to keep their beaks trim. I also use off pieces to add gradients and interest into the enclose so they've got somewhere to climb and keep their claws short.Have you thought about adding some plants? Spider plants are hardy and non toxic for tortoises. :)

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

You built it yourself, how clever it looks perfect. Most experienced keepers use a sterilised soil and play sand mix for the substrate and as Kelly said, your tort will want to dig down, especially in his sleeping area. :)

#4 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I was thinking of using a top soil and play sand mix so i will deffo go with that. And will now take a walk around t
An old local slate mine for some good bits for eating off and climing. Want something to brighten the enclose up a little so will research plants some more. Thanks for the comments on the table. I was really pleased with the out come ant hope my little tort loves it. Chrissyan did i read some where that you should varnish the table or leave it in the natural redwood pine? Will post pics as soon as it's home for all to see. Thanks again guys youv'e been a big help😃

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've left mine au natural, but you can seal with yacht varnish or something water based. :)

#6 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Cool. I like the au natural look so thats settled for me. Thanks kelly. 😊

#7 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

It's looking good! :D

Anything that breaks up the straight edges and eyeline will make it better for exploring for torty, just make sure it can't be used at a prop to clamber over the sides!

Paula x

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

hi you,ve done a brilliant job with your tort table :) i only use top soil in mine, i also have plenty of big stones and bark so my torts have loads of different things to climb over :)

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Great Job Durb ! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users