Eating Stones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I've been having a read of old post about tortoises eating stones and can see that it is quite normal reptile behaviour, but you can't help but worry when they do it!!!

Norman's got large slate chippings in his outdoor enclosure and regularly picks them up in his mouth, especially if they are wet. I assumed he was doing it just to help keep his beak trim.

Yesterday when in the bath he pooed and I found this in it!!! Posted Image He must have really searched in amongst the slate chipping to find one small enough to eat! I've photographed it next to a 5p piece.

Posted Image

I bet passing that through made his eyes water!! Posted Image

He's got cuttlefish and has nutrobal sprinkled on his food daily. I wonder what mineral he is searching for?

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Kelly I know the problem though not seen any evidence as yet. Peta is always nibbling stones and slate despite having cuttlefish bone etc available. I have read the research and so tell myself not to worry when I see her showing far too much interest in these things. However today.... Despite her space and lots of other interesting adventures she could have, she persistently wanted to eat slate and pebbles. I told myself not to worry..... Think now having seen Normans gift to you I just may start...... Worrying x x. Hugs x x

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

I can't believe he found that tiny one in amongst all the others in the first place.... I thought they were big enough for him not to eat easily....

Posted Image

I found some empty snail shells today, so I've put them in among the slate chippings.... I've also broken up a bit of cuttle fish and added them too.....hopefully he'll prefer them and nibble on those instead!

#4 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ouch!! :D

Mine much prefer their cuttlefish once they have been trodden on, peed on, rained on are filthy dirty and I begin to think I really should put in new bits!!

Paula x

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

ouch, i bet that was painful.
Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users