• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 freda

freda

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

My mums tortoise is a good 60+ years old (we don't know her exact age). It's typical for her to wake up very gradually and then not eat for a couple of weeks. She's an old girl and lost the use of her back legs a few years ago but, when she's awake, she certainly does eat well.

She started to stir about 3 weeks or so ago, we put her outside in the warm sunshine, gave her the usual warm baths but she's still not eating and seems very lethargic, only occasionally putting her head up and having a brief look around.

I'm wondering whether it's the changeable weather temperatures or if something more sinister is going on. Or have we woken her too early by mistake. We don't have a heat lamp and wondered whether we should try one.

I'd appreciate any thoughts please. If the situation doesn't change over the weekend, we'll have to take her to vets.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

hi freda welcome to the forum :) the weathers not very good again,temperature plays a big part with tortoises been active and eating i would set up some sort of heat lamp for your tortoise see if makes a difference let us know how you get on, also keep giving her a warm bath :)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi There,
As Karen says, temps are very important when it comes to tortoises' eating. So it is important that you get this right.
Also, May seems a little late for a tortoise to be coming out of hibernation. She should be coming out end of March beginning of April at the latest. The reason why a long hibernation is not recommended for tortoises' is that it can lead to anorexia which can affect a tortoise's appetite when it wakes. So it can take a tortoise a long time to start eating again. Because of this, it is advisable not to hibernate an adult tortoise for more than maximum recommended period of 20 weeks. In fact as they grow older it is best to gradually reduce the hibernation length of a tortoise otherwise its ageing immune system can have difficulty coping. High uric acid levels also occur with a long hibernation and this can be detrimental to a torts health.
Finally, remember, your tortoise is getting old and could be just suffering the effects of old age. It would be great if she lived on for many years to come but there are no guarantees. So be prepared. Hopefully she will continue to have a long happy life with you and your family.
Anyway, I hope this information has been of some help. For now, I wish you the best of luck and hope your tort starts eating again soon.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 freda

freda

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for the advice. Despite our best efforts, we couldn't save her. As I said, we didn't know her exact age. All we know is that Mum had her for at least 46 years and she was fully grown at that time (a neighbour gave Freda to Mum as she kept escaping!) but we've guessed she was at least 60+ because of the time it takes for them to grow to adulthood.

It's a wrench after having her so long in the family but we've got very good memories.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

hi freda im so sorry to hear this it must be very hard after all them years.

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi There,
I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise 'Freda' but am glad you will have many happy memories of her. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users