• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi guys thanks for the kind words, we are getting a horsefield tort next week from a breader. So my question is i will get rid of this nasty viv and build a tort table but cant get my head around this open top, surely if i have a open top wont my thermostat heat lamp be pointless cause the air will never be at the set temp and the thermostat will be working 24/7 so please advise do i need set temps for torts? Or could i build a open top but build a house inside the table with the lamp to keep that part at the set temp and the rest a bit cooler, please help as plan on building asap, thanks guys,

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hi Stev, open top is fine, is you have no pets, if you have a cat of something, go for an open mesh lid. Tortoises need to regulate their body temps. Your tortoise will bask under a heat lamp, there is no need for a thermostat on it, we just a have a thermometer so that we know our spot light is at the correct height, so on his flat stones underneath it is 34ºC. Sometimes he will be directly under it, other times in his hide and at others, in a corner of his table away from his spot light., he also semi buries himself in his soil at times. He must be able to control his body temps at all times. Hope this helps. :)

BTW check out the section on Enclosures, they don't have to be anywhere near as grand as some on here, but you can get an idea. ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

hi steve and mel i keep horsfields and there kept in an open top enclosure, i have my heat bulb on a thermostat and uv bulb at one end temp about 32, horsfields love to dig so you want plenty of topsoil in,they also love to climb so make sure the sides are high enough, like chris said have a look at some pics it will give you some ideas :)

#4 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi thanks for that, i will check out the pics, i there any thing important i need to know about horsefields?

#5 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Their care is very similar to that of Hermann's. If you are worried about conflicting advice, always check with The Tortoise Trust Website: http://www.tortoiset.../care/care.html

(I have moved this to a more suitable thread, I hope this is okay)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

horsfields are lovely torts i keep mine just the same as i do my hermanns,i found this very good http://www.russianto.../care_sheet.htm

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

and this one have a read http://www.thetortoi.../russians04.htm hope they help

#8 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi guys is it normal that our horsefield hisses at us, also she is allways digging at the walls and such and always climbing something somewhere,
Also thanks for the links they where great help

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Oh I didn't think you had got her yet. :) I have heard sometimes torts do hiss, torts do like to climb, just position things so that it can't fall on it's back under a heat lamp, or fall out of the table, also Horsefields are diggers, I hope you have a nice deep substrate. Torts are also territorial and it will take it a while to settle down it's new environment and work out it is safe.

#10 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

I picked her up today thanks chrissy, im building her a table

#11 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

looking forward to seeing pictures of your new horsefield,i have three horsefields they are great torts,my torts were housed in tabletops but now are housed outside 24/7 so if you need any help dont hesitate to ask.
Jaynex

#12 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

Just general advice is what i require, best enclosers, food, care and such, just want to give her good care really

#13 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi Steve & Mel,
So glad to hear you got a new horsefield tortoise. :) Best of luck with her. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#14 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hay guys thanks for advice, got her/him and its 18 months old and loves food and digging?
Someone told me that a peice of slate in with her is good to help her claws, is this true?
We have named her/him harry or harrotte. I think its a boy and natually mel disagrees ut either way she is a character. Still abit new with us and i think not 100% trusty with us yet, but will take time, planning on a tort table build asap to help her thanks guy
Steve mel and harry/harrotte

#15 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yes. Placing her food on a piece of slate will help keep her beak and nails trim! :)
Freddy :D

#16 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

chelonia hiss when they are surprised/alarmed..they exhale and hiss..for them breathing is a far more deliberate act, so breaths can vary in how long the interval between inhalations and exhalations..its just her reaction to being picked up, Horsefields are more humidity intolerant than graecas..hermannis seem to have high tolerance..one of the reasons why I decided to keep hermanis again as against the graecas or russians. If you want you could pm Wizzasmum on RFUK. She breeds and loves to chat about horsefields

#17 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

be posting pics soon.
she is a little devil, loves too climb

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

lol looking forward to seeing pics sounds like shes settled in ok :)

#19 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi everyone Mel here this may be a silly question but how often should we be giving are little tort a bath we have had her nearly a week and have given her one which was Friday. She is eating well but i don;t know how often she is accessing her water as myself and Steve both work during the day. Also she loves to dig so how much top soil should i put in i put enough to cover the bottom of her house with a little extra for she to dig around in about maybe an( inch deep), is this O.K!!!!!! she seems to be settling ok and loves to explore and driving Steve mad by climbing on nearly everything LOL.

#20 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

hi mel i would give your tort a bath at least 3 times a week more if its only a baby, did you make a open top enclosure if you have you want a few inches of soil in my adults horsfields have about 9 inch in as they do love to dig down into the soil at night :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users