• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

not got the open top table yet but will be doing it asap she is 18 months old is this classed as a baby I'm not sure. will put a little more soil in her house and also how often should we change her soil/bedding as been told lots of different things. Thanks again the advice is brill. :D

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

shes still little small so i would give her a bath 3/4 times a week,i would just put as much soil in as you can for the time untill you get sorted,i spot clean mine out every day any old food or mess they,ve made then i just top with new soil when it starts getting low,i also spray the soil with water stops it getting to dry :)

#23 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for that Karen will give her bath tomorrow and then every other day so she has one 4 times a week. will post some pics as i took some today x x

#24 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

try and increase the depth of your substrate as deep as you can..this lot love to burrow and one breeder i chat with a good bit, promotes deep substrate where the animals can regulate the humidity of their underground environs..says it really promotes even shell rowth in young Horsefields..bear in mind though that they are very vulnerable to humidity above ground.

#25 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hey everyone,
Myself and Steve are a bit concerned about what temp are vivarium is going down to at night times, as we haven't got the table top up and running as yet. I have read on line that it can't go down below 65 degrees at the moment the horrible vivarium is at 75 but I think it may go down lower as where we have her its not the warmest place and goes quite cool during the night. I'm just wandering what the temp will do when we have the open top how will we be able to make sure the temp is ok for her as we don't want anything to happen to are lovely tort. we have been told that it shouldnt be a problem for her as she can regulate her temp, is this true?
what is the best course of action for us to do,

#26 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Your normal house temperature at night should be absolutely fine, especially in June. Your tort will dig down in her soil in her hide and and be fine.

#27 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

hi mel she needs a drop in temperature at night , so she has a day time temp and night time temp, this will just be the same when you make an opentop enclosure :) when it gets colder i use a ceramic heat bulb on a thermostat so if the temp drops to low the heat will come on over night with no light :)

#28 stevemel

stevemel

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

Thanks everyone that's put my mind at rest will see about getting a different bulb for the winter. I was just double checking as we want to make sure we are giving the best care possible.

#29 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hello
I bathe my horsefields about four to five times a week,i leave them in for about 15 mins i just put a bit extra warm water in to stop it getting too cold as they seem to do a poo and a wee in there bath when its warm you will get to know your torts behaviour,this way also they tend to have a drink and wash there face.Horsefields love to dig in soil,and also they are known escape artists.If you are housing in a table top put as much soil as you can at the cool end so if your tort wants to escape out of the heat and have a dig,an inch is not much horsefields love to dig deep.
Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users