Do We Have A Little Rufus Or A Little Ruby?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

I know that 10 months is far to young to properly sex a tort, but I am still curious to know, what do members think is the most likely?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

at a guess im going to say female :)

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

The only way I found out for sure was when I got flashed after Norman was pooing and weeing in the bath! ;) Norman's only two and a half.... but DEFINITELY all male! Posted Image

#4 TillyTortoise

TillyTortoise

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Looks like a little boy to me :D

Ross

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

I would guess female. But I think it is still a little early to tell for sure. :)
Freddy

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'd say female too..... the tail's quite thick and stubby, and held straight... not to the side.... but look out for flashing as she/he gets older! ;)

#7 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi. Iv'e recently had a tort and wasn't sure on the sex but after reading up on it and seeing she had a flat bottom o. The shell, slightly curved shell over her tail. And the tail looks the same as my little girl's so as a new owner and not 100% but id say a girl also😊happy torting. Durb

#8 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

I was quietly confident I had two girls, until last summer my 07 babies both grew 'boy tails'.
So my guess would not be worth the space it was written in!

Paula x

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Ours has a 'flat bottom' as well, I guess I will just have to patient, but I am starting think more and more a girl.

Kelly was your tort always called Norman?

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

chris do you know what temps rufus was incubated at :) or if it was incubated to be female :)

#11 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

No mildredsmam, she came from a first time breeder, Oh my, see I just called Rufus, she for the first time. I think Tiggy was just happy to buy her incubator and successfully incubate them. and who wouldn't be, he/she's perfect? :) Tiggy was inclined to the think it may be a boy, based on the shape of his opening in his tail, it being a slit rather than a hole :blush: (says me trying to put it politely)

Rufus I apologise for the undignified way I am treating you and will never do it again. :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users