Photo

Question:how Old Do Torts Lay Their First Eggs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Could you help me? I wanna know the average age for a hermann tort to lay its first egg? Besides, does only the pregnant tort can lay eggs? Does tort can't lay eggs without preganancy? Does very old tort can not lay eggs? And at what age does tort stop laying eggs?

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

There is no real set answer as all tortoises are different.

Hermanns normally start laying once they become adults at about 8-10 years old, but this can be sooner if the tortoise has grown to their full size at a younger age (particularly when they are kept in captivity).

It is normally the presence of a male tortoise that will trigger egg laying. However, sometimes a tortoise who has never seen a male will start laying infertile eggs on an annual basis. Alot of it is down to husbandry.... If the tortoise is kept in the correct environment she will lay, with or without a male being present.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

hi peter with breeding its not the age of the tortoise but more the size of her, she also needs to be healthy,old tortoise can still lay im not sure at what age they would stop :) also if you where going to breed hermanns it would have to be with another hermann of the same subspecies of which there is 3 different subspecies of hermanns :)

#4 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

There is no real set answer as all tortoises are different.

Hermanns normally start laying once they become adults at about 8-10 years old, but this can be sooner if the tortoise has grown to their full size at a younger age (particularly when they are kept in captivity).

It is normally the presence of a male tortoise that will trigger egg laying. However, sometimes a tortoise who has never seen a male will start laying infertile eggs on an annual basis. Alot of it is down to husbandry.... If the tortoise is kept in the correct environment she will lay, with or without a male being present.

Thank you Kelly.The main problem is that I don't know my tort's age, even it is a matured one or a very old one. Could you help me to estimate its age by its photos?

#5 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

hi peter with breeding its not the age of the tortoise but more the size of her, she also needs to be healthy,old tortoise can still lay im not sure at what age they would stop :) also if you where going to breed hermanns it would have to be with another hermann of the same subspecies of which there is 3 different subspecies of hermanns :)

Hi mildredsmam, could you tell me which subspecies my tort belong to? :sun:

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hi Peter,
One can usually tell if a tortoise has reached adulthood by measuring the length of its shell underside. Measurements of mature specimens can vary by subspecies. You need to provide us with clearer pictures of your torts shell underside (Plastron), particularly the tail end but also the head and shell top (Carapace). Also, please let us know the length of your torts plastron. This information should give us an idea if your Hermann is a mature specimen. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hi Peter,
One can usually tell if a tortoise has reached adulthood by measuring the length of its shell underside. Measurements of mature specimens can vary by subspecies. You need to provide us with clearer pictures of your torts shell underside (Plastron), particularly the tail end but also the head and shell top (Carapace). Also, please let us know the length of your torts plastron. This information should give us an idea if your Hermann is a mature specimen. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

Hi Freddy, I post several clear pictures,please attach the link http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=7626 and give me some ideas.Thank you very much!
Kind regards!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users