Heat And Lighting Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and wanted to ask some advice about setting up outdoor housing.

I have two, two year old female Hermanns. At the moment they are spending the nights in their indoor tortoise table and going out into a 5ft x 3ft outdoor enclosure during the day. At the moment the housing outside has no heating or lighting. We are making some changes to our garden (removing a garage) which will leave us with a good sunny area to house the torts so I am in the stages of planning a more permanent outdoor enclosure. Could you advise on the type of heating or lighting to use outdoors - any links to products would be really helpful. I am wondering how high I need to position the heater and light so that it is safe for the torts, and once I know this I will have more idea of the how high the outdoor house should be. Again, any links to outdoor houses would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Denise

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

I am not the best person to answer these questions, but just wanted toPosted Image you to the forum Denise. :)

#3 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi there Chrissyan, Thanks for the lovely welcome!
Denise

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

hi denise welcome to the forum :) it really depends on what you are planning to what heat you need if your only making something small that works for now then you can see what kelly has done here http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=7050 if your thinking of doing something bigger like a heated shed then theres other things you can look at :)

#5 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hi Karen,

I really like Kelly's set up - thank you for the link- great design- very safe and I like the addition of the coldframe.
Is it safe to have the heat lamp that low? Having never used one I just dont know how hot they get.
I was thinking that maybe I need to have a tall set up - maybe not quite ready for a shed but was thinking of a large dog kennel.???
Denise

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

hi denise im sure it will be fine kellys had hers set up quite a bit and dont think shes had any problems, a dog kennel would work just as good and might be a bit bigger which would last them longer, you could also use a ceramic heat bulb :)

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

The heater in the hut in the outdoor enclosure is a greenhouse tubular heater, not a heat lamp. :) These just omit a gentle background heat. I have it set on a thermostat so it doesn't exceed 20oc. It has a guard around it so that my tortoise cannot touch the actual heater, so it is quite safe. ;)

#8 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Here's a link to some greenhouse tubular heaters on ebay. They last for years and are really cheap to run.

http://www.ebay.co.u...-All-Categories

... and here's a link to the guards:

http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

That's very helpful, I think we may have to get some electricity supplied to our garden and invest in one those. It's the middle of June already and Rufus has hardly been outside. :mellow:

#10 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I know. This weather is a right bummer. :(

Surely I can't be this bad ALL summer. :unsure:

#11 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi Kelly, Oh that's brilliant, I really like the idea of one of those now that I understand it better and the guard is a great idea. That would really give me peace of mind. Thanks for the links.

I put my two out today, - determined that they should get a bit of outdoor time - wishing for sun though. Tuesday is looking promising where I live. Fingers crossed!!

Denise

#12 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's been teeming down with rain for most of the day today and the outdoor enclosure now resembles a hippos mud bath! It's really windy and only 15oc, so Norman's inside, stomping round his tortoise table, busily stuffing his face with the weeds I collected for him earlier. ;)

#13 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi Ozric,

This is going to sound a bit daft....but hey....I'm going to ask anyway......what exactly is a halogen lamp? - see told you it was going to sound daft. What I mean is, is it a special reptile one that is for external use? Uh oh... more questions springing to mind........Do I have to supply some UV with that ....is there a miracle product that will do it all? If you're putting lighting and heat outside are there special fittings and bulbs especially for outside? .....Why am I finding this so confusing?

A dimming thermostat sounds an excellent idea - really like the sound of that! Could you point me in the direction of a link Ozric, so that I can get my head round it all?

Oh dear, if they did an O level in this (given away my age now) I'd have failed. lol. :blink: :D

Denise

#14 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Denise
    x

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

P.S. One of my little tortoises yawned today.....never seen that before....possibly the sweetest thing ever.... :wub:

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

hi denise they do look cute when they yawn :winkgrin: your not the only one i would,nt know where to start with out door electrics, im sure oz will be along soon to post you some links that will help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users