Help Me To Recognize My Tort

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I am a new Chinese tortoise enthusiast. I can not make sure my tort's probable age and subspecies. There will be several high qualified photos of my tort. Please check the photos and give me some ideas. Thank you very much!The length of the plastron is about 17cm.

Attached File  DSCF2558.JPG   3.82MB   45 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2560.JPG   3.77MB   59 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2565.JPG   3.78MB   63 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2575.JPG   3.77MB   70 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2579.JPG   3.76MB   66 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2581.JPG   3.79MB   63 downloadsAttached File  DSCF1556.JPG   3.81MB   44 downloads

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi Peter,
I am no expert. But, judging from the photos, I would say you have a young adult female Testudo hermanni boettgeri or eastern hermanns. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

hi peter im not the best at id but i would also say thb, how much does she weigh :)

#4 Tracie

Tracie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Hey Peter, I also think she is a THB :) lovely tortoise

Take care
Tracie

#5 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hi Peter,
I am no expert. But, judging from the photos, I would say you have a young adult female Testudo hermanni boettgeri or eastern hermanns. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

Freddy,you are always so kind.Many thanks to you! I think it is a good information to me because I want the tort live long with me. By the way, are the other two species the Spur-thighed and Marginated Tortoise from Greece?
Kind regards!

#6 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

hi peter im not the best at id but i would also say thb, how much does she weigh :)

Hi mildredsmam, she weighs about 1.5 kilograms .Is it healthy for a palstron length 17 cm tort?

#7 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hey Peter, I also think she is a THB :) lovely tortoise

Take care
Tracie

I am so glad to see your reply Tracie. She indeed a cute and smart tortoise, but recently she gets a little diarrhea. I have given her some pet medicine, I hope she can be better soon.

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

hello peter have a look on here for her weight http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm :) the three different subspecies of hermann are testudo hermanni boettgeri ,testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, and testudo hermanni hermanni if thats what you ment :winkgrin:

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

she weighs about 1.5 kilograms .Is it healthy for a palstron length 17 cm tort?

Hi Peter,
She is probably a little overweight! 1 to 1.2 kg would be a normal weight for her length.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

hello peter have a look on here for her weight http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm :) the three different subspecies of hermann are testudo hermanni boettgeri ,testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, and testudo hermanni hermanni if thats what you ment :winkgrin:

Thank you mildredsmam. It is a funny calculating program!

#11 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

Hi Peter,
She is probably a little overweight! 1 to 1.2 kg would be a normal weight for her length.
Kind Regards
Freddy

Yes Freddy, she eats too much and keeps hunting food,including grass in my flowerpot. Her legs have a little more strength than weeks before. Has she had eggs inside her shell? lol...But there still be the problem that she leaves unformed discharge which is very very smelly and she poo more than once a day sometimes. :unsure2:
Best regards! ;)

#12 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hi Peter,
'Big Flowers' smelly discharges and frequent pooing could be the result of an incorrect diet. You need to feed her a high fiber diet of edible weeds and plants. You may also need to cut down on the amount of food you give her. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi Peter,
'Big Flowers' smelly discharges and frequent pooing could be the result of an incorrect diet. You need to feed her a high fiber diet of edible weeds and plants. You may also need to cut down on the amount of food you give her. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

Thank you Freddy,I will try it.
Kind regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users