• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hey all i asked a question on the forum about my little tort and there is contreversy on the sex. I was asked to put up some pics so peeps could see. hope we can work out what sex my little tort is? Not sure if this will help any but my owners certificate says that ya'ma is from slovanian origin's.
Attached File  DSC_0116.JPG   824.98KB   26 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0117.JPG   876.85KB   33 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0119.JPG   845.25KB   33 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0120.JPG   877.19KB   32 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0121.JPG   881.41KB   32 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0123.JPG   857.13KB   33 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0124.JPG   866.39KB   34 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0125.JPG   826.48KB   30 downloads

Attached Files

#2 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi Durb,

It took 4 years for two of my little guys to be positively ID'd as boys, until then I couldn't tell at all. My GUESS is boy. The reason I think this is that the shell scute right at the back is sloping inwards? Kind of curling? Well I wonder if that is an indication of boy as it narrows the opening between top and bottom which MIGHT mean more difficult to lay eggs as a female?
I have never been much good at this ID'ing lark so could be completely wrong... which is obviously little help at all, :rolleyes: but thought I would share my thoughts! :)

Paula x

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think male, too Paula.

The way that the shell curves under at the back is very typical in males (to protect their tackle!) :lol: There is also a wide v shape to the shell surrounding the tail, which also says to me male. In females the is much smaller and shallower.

Can you take a pick of him on the ground as he walks? That way we can see how long the tail is and whether it hangs to the side or not.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

i would say your tort is a bit small to be 100% sure but its looking male to me :winkgrin:

#5 Durb

Durb

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

@kelly the tail normally hangs to the side under the shell and we very rarely see it protruding. But will take a pic for u to see. thanks for ur comments every one will keep the pics coming or all to see and guess ir try and id the sex. Thanks again :wave:

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Definitely sounds male then. ;)
Your tortoise looks identical to mine....plus they are similar ages. The way I was able to say 100% that he was male was when he flashed to confirm it while in the bath. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users