- - - - -

hibernation wind down

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

at the end of the day ppl will do want they wanna do , ands that their choice :)

#22 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

at the end of the day ppl will do want they wanna do , ands that their choice :)

Exactly but for some reason when you say your not gonna hibernate it's like a naughty word. I don't think I've ever seen a reply on this forum telling anyone that they shouldn't be hibernating their tortoise, us non hibernators are more tolerant it seems.

#23 Guest_B E C K Y_*

Guest_B E C K Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:15 PM

wow there are so many people not hibernating!! i thought id be the only one!! does anyone out there actualy hybernate!? (only jokin!!)
thnx everyone for the support - i now feel i can say woteva i wantr to on this forun without being shouted at!! thnx very much for makin the forum a welcoming and informative place to be!!

becky and kelly xXx

#24 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:30 PM

i do hibernate my tortoises, because my tortoise thrives from it, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

#25 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

i do hibernate my tortoises, because my tortoise thrives from it, everyone is entitled to there opinion.

thats wot we are saying

#26 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

I know im agreeing with you, certain people on here are being nasty because thy feel that all tortoises should hibernate. I feel it is up to the owner.

#27 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

:) :D

#28 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hows your new additions Sarah?:)

#29 Guest_aureil_*

Guest_aureil_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Hi everybody,
I have a marginated tortoise (Cynthia) she was born in July 2004. Never hibernated before. Since she moved indoors she started to winding down all alone. I place food she likes but...nothing.... not interested. She has all the proper lights and lives in a cute pen with stones, soil and water. The temperature inside the house is confortable. So it has not being a great change with her summer outdoor's life.Yet she mellowed down and lost apetite.
Does this sound familiar to you?Her weight is fine. It almost seems to me that her internal clock is telling her to slow down...?

#30 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

Hello Erico
I have 4 Marginata born 2000 their lovely aren't they, and yes all 4 have done this to me, yes your being told in no uncertain terms what she wants to do
How are you planning to hibernate her??
Arnie

#31 Guest_aureil_*

Guest_aureil_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:20 AM

Hi Arnie,
yes, she/he is adorable and very smart. I am reducing the light cycle and offering food but she is not interested. I think I will use the fridge method. I will definetly hibernate her, she seems to want to go that way. I have been following the forum for tips. Since this will be heer first year, I think 4 weeks will be plenty of rest .:-)

#32 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

Arnie will probably reply to this too but in general anything less than an 8 week hibernation is really not worth the windown for. If you monitor the weight loss during the sleep you will be able to guage how long she can stay down for.

Matt.

#33 Guest_aureil_*

Guest_aureil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

Thanks Matt,
I didn't know that. I thought that since she is so young (year and a half) would be better to go for a short period of hibernation.
Thanks,
Erico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users