• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Babykayne

Babykayne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi, I am worried about my 1 year old tortoises they only seem to do their Urates maybe every 3 weeks, also I think they were over fed before I got them as they are very big for 1 year old Hermans. I have 2 other 1 year old Hermans that I have had for a while and the are half the size of my other two.
Can any one give me any suggestions.
Many thanks
Joanne

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi Joanne,
Tortoises do not pass urates, (the white glue like substance) all the time. Sometimes they pass a clear water like substance. Chances are if you are bathing them they are passing this water like substance in their bath or in their enclosure and you are missing it. This could be the problem. As long as they are passing something I don't think there is any need to worry. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Babykayne

Babykayne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Hi freddy,
Thank you for replying to me. I bath my tortoise's every day, on occasions i do it twice a day. I am hoping you are right and I will try not to worry. Also does anyone know how I can find out if my new tortoises have been over fed or if the breeder I got them from lied and they are actully older than a year. They seem realy big for 1 year old Hermans as my other two are only half the size.
Thanks
Joanne

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi again Joanne,
Tortoises come in all shapes and sizes. It is possible that they have been overfed or that they are just larger specimens. However, I suspect they may be a little older than the breeder said. What do their certificates say?
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi Joanne,
As Freddy says they do come in different shapes and sizes, :)
There are 3 different subspieces of Hermanns torts and so there is a possibility you have different ones?
If your baby has been over fed there won't be a way of you telling this now, but you can weigh him regularly and monitor his food intake from here on in to make sure his growth is nice and slow for smooth growth.

Paula x

#6 Babykayne

Babykayne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi, their certificates say they are both 1 year old next week two days apart. Their species are testudo hermanni, also they have slight pyramiding on their shells. I will try and put some pics on but I need to work out how to do it as I have a new iPad and don't know how to use it lol.
Thank you for your help
Joanne

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

hi joanne welcome to the forum :) if you ask your breeder what subspecies of hermann you have they should be able to tell you :)

#8 Babykayne

Babykayne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Morning, I can't upload pics of my tortoise's as my iPad wont do it :-( I think it is because the iPad doesn't support flash player. Does anyone else have an ipad that could tell me how to upload my tortoise pics?.

#9 Babykayne

Babykayne

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Morning Karen, All of my tortoises are hermani hermani, as soon as I can work out how to use stupid iPad I will upload some pics.
Thank u
Joanne

#10 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hi Joanne,

mine rarely pass urates and she pees regularly and drinks a lot. Also, I have Testudo Hermanni Hermanni on my certificate when in fact I have a Testudo Hermanni Hercegovensis. It would be best to upload a couple of pictures tho

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

The UK certificates will not say hermanni hermanni, but just 'hermanni' as DEFRA are not into giving subspecies for some reason, despite what the breeders put on the applications. Hermanni is just the species, which is what they use for all three subspecies ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users