Is Cowpea Edible For Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I find the vegetable cowpea neither in Topic Edible nor in Topic Non Edible. Cowpea is a popular vegetable in Chinese meal.I don't know if it has other names in the posted topics. And I want to know if it is good for torts. Can anyone help me to identify it?
Attached File  77c6a7efce1b9d16dc88c2c7f3deb48f8d5464cc.jpg   12.78KB   16 downloadsAttached File  f31fbe096b63f624bf847f5f8744ebf81b4ca395.jpg   13.59KB   13 downloads

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hello Peter, I have just used Google and have discovered that it is known as the black eyed bean, or peas In England. It is quite a popular food in the southern states of America, there is even a band named the BlackEyed Peas, you may have heard of.

This is an British forum and they are not commonly eaten here, except in a Chinese takeaway meal we might buy ;) What is listed on this forum, are plants & weeds that grow wild in Britain, not the cultivated crops and I am not sure we grow it anyway.

As peas and beans are generally not good tortoise food (too high in protein) I would definitely say not to feed, I hope this helps. :)

#3 Peter29

Peter29

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:macroeconomics,sinfonia,classical pop music,movies,guitar,nunchakus,kungfu

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Ok,Chrissyan,I stop the the BlackEyed Peas diet for torts. Thanks for your reminding,rich protein is not good for torts. It is the first time I heard of this name of the vegetable, my English is really not so good as yours and other members' in the forum. ;) But indeed the Cowpea is a very healthy food in China.If you and other friends had been in China, I would have recommended you many delious food of ours. :)

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Peter your English is brilliant and we are always happy to help. :) I would love one day to try real Chinese food, instead of the Anglicised versions we get here. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users