Photo
- - - - -

New Hermann Mummy Needing Help To Stop Baby Pyramiding!

new pyramiding nutrition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 New-Hermann-mum

New-Hermann-mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

thanks for reading!

I am a new mummy to 2 beautiful Hermann's bought from a friend of a friend. They are approx 4 years old, but doing my research they have not been looked after appropriately and I really need some advice and help please!

They are definitely pyramiding and have rough shells. I haven't weighed them yet as don't have any scales, but I know that they have been inside all of their lives and have not been hibernated before.

Doing my own reading I have plans to hibernate them this winter but really want to make sure I can give them the best care possible and sort out their diet as they have lived off bagged salad leaves and calcium powder.

I plan to build them an outside habitat that they can be placed in over the daytimes this summer and be brought in during the evenings..
food wise I want to add an aloe vera plant and a few plants they can munch on. I have read that I can feed them dandilions but most caresheets advise only salad- surely this isn't best?

They don;t get bathed either so might make sure that they are getting enough water.

Can anyone please help me? Really want them to stop pyramiding and be healthy so that they can hibernate and have a natural environment to live in. Any advice is fantastic so thank you so much :)

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

hi welcome to the forum :wave: you wont be able to change the pyramiding thats already happened but you can improve new growth,i would get some scales and weigh them every couple of weeks you can then keep a dairy of their weight this way you can tell if your over feeding them which is,nt good you want them to grow slow and smooth
you have some great ideas on how to change these tortoises around an outdoor area will be great for them how are they housed indoors?
the best diet for them is weeds/ plants and flowers only use bagged salard as a must during winter also fruit and veg are bad for them have a look on the forum in the edible section it has photos of plants and weeds they can eat also have a look on here its very good http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp.
as for hibernation i never hibernate a new tortoise i like to know their fit and healthy and a good weight before i hibernate them better to be safe you have some time to do alot of research on hibernation you can then make a decision on what to do any questions just ask hope this helps a little :)

#3 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum
Like Karen say's i wouldn't hibernate this year,just get to know your tort well and keep regular checks on weight,bathe regularly and feed your tort on edible weeds and plants,next year you will know your tort is healthy for hibernation,would love to see some pictures of your little one's.
Jaynex :rolleyes:

#4 New-Hermann-mum

New-Hermann-mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thank you so much for replying so soon :wave:

Okay thanks for the tip on hibernation, I'll do that then! As for food, I have been looking at the edible plant section and bought a few this afternoon before I saw your replies, they are currently outside in the rain to wash away the possible toxins (the plants that is!)

They are inside in a terrarium, with light and heat. I have changed from dry wood chips to a mix of top soil and sand, and added stones and areas of interest and hidey places as they were in a very basic flat terrain with only 1 hidey and their food/water bowl... I've been looking at habitat idea's all day so lot's to be excited about :winkgrin:

I read somewhere that not being hibernated could put extra strain on their bodies as they will be eating/growing all year round, that's why I was thinking wowee that might not be helping them, but thanks for the advice.

I'll take some pictures at the weekend and post then. Hopefully I'll have finished their outdoor habitat by then too!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! Alana x

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

morning sounds great looking forward to seeing pictures :)

#6 New-Hermann-mum

New-Hermann-mum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hey so they are loving being outside during the day! Cannot believe the transformation that has taken place since in their behaviour and they are so adventurous!
I haven't worked out how to upload photo's though :unsure2:

Alana x

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

hi alana sounds like there having fun :) to add pictures you need to use something like photobucket copy the img code and paste onto your post :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, pyramiding, nutrition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users