• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimsim

kimsim

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

My 10 year old sulcata tort recently broke his beak. I just noticed it yesterday and it looks like he has fangs. It looks at though it's a pretty good sized break. He is still eating and doesn't look like it is bothering him. Will his beak grow back?

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi There,
Yes. His beak will grow back, but only very slowly and over time.
Hope this helps.
Freddy

#3 kimsim

kimsim

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, Freddy! I guess he has enough years left that he has time to grow a new beak, lol!

#4 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Why don't you take him to a reptile vet and get his beak trimmed so that it is evened off? :)

#5 kimsim

kimsim

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Chrissyan - That's an idea but I think it's broken too high up, if that makes any sense. It wouldn't leave him with much beak if I trimmed it that high. I'm going to try and get a good picture and post it. Thanks for your suggestion :rolleyes:

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

They usually break because they are too long or too brittle. If too long he needs to be able to graze tough grasses and if too brittle, then more supplements need to be given, especially calcium ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users