2 replies to this topic

#1 emiliedevon

emiliedevon

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a tortoise and thinking of the best indoor home it could have. We have lots of wooden wine crates (that contained 12 bottles) and are lovely and deep and spacious. Would this be a good enclosure to use?

Also what would need to be inside the enclosure to make the tortoise as happy as possible.

Thank you

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

emilie, have a look at some of the ideas on this forum, I have just Googled it and the wine crate looks fine for a smallish tort. You will need to put topsoil in the bottom and make or buy him a little hidey hut with a roof. Rocks, plant pots on their side etc make a more interesting environment. If you have a cat or dog, it might advisable to put a mesh lid over. He will also need a UV and warming lamp or a combined one, a water bowl & bit of slate to eat off.

EDIT: note to self :doh: read the questions properly before answering. Sorry emilie if you read my earlier answer it was for an outdoor home. I have edited my reply. :rofl:

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

hi i think alot depends on what age tortoise you get to what will be best for an indoor enclosure if its just a hatchling you could use something smaller, but if its an older tort you would need something alot bigger have a look at some of the pics people have posted of their enclosures in the indoor section might give you some ideas :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users