• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

I recently have a new tortoise she is a horsefield aged about a year, she is not eating goes a few days before she wants to. I've just come home to find a bit of her skin round her neck coming off unsure of what or why this has happened and what to do to help? Also can anyone tell me how to measure her I think she may be underweight I'm trying to find a website that has a macintyre graph clear enough.
Please help!
Laura

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Laura,

Sometimes it can take a tortoise a while to settle in to its new home. Your tortoise will come round and start eating eventually.To find the correct weight for your tortoise you need to measure the length of its shell underside or Plastron in millimetres and compare this to the corresponding weight in grammes on the chart. Please remember to use the chart only as a general guide. Also, you should be aiming for a weight gain of approx 2-3 grammes per month. I am no expert when it comes to horsefields but here is a link you may find useful

http://postimage.org/image/id9pldefd/

Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum Tilly, most torts being territorial, sulk for anything from a few days to a few weeks when placed in a new environment ,so don't worry. Just give her a weed & or flower diet only, torts don't always get the chance to eat everyday in the wild, she will not starve herself.

Tortoises are reptiles and as so shed their skin, that is also nothing to worry about. Do you give her a warm bath everyday, this should help the old skin to come away? I hope this has put your mind at rest.

Can I ask you are you keeping her on a tortoise table with top soil?

#4 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Thanks feddy I'm all new to this so thought I'd see what people thought hopefully she will start to eat so she will gain weight I'll check out that website find out her weight!

Ah that's good to know seing her skin come off was a shock is it always this time of year? Tilly has a run outside and when she comes in she's on wood chip with lights she seems to love it. I'm just thinking when to hibernate!

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

No need to hibernate just yet. Get to know your tortoise first and be sure she is fit and healthy. Best of luck. ;)
Freddy :D

#6 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

What age would you say?

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Personally, I feel 2/3 years old is time enough. Others may differ. Hope this helps. ;)
Freddy :)

#8 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

hello and welcome to the forum
Freddy and Chrissyan have given you some great advice,it can take a while for your little one to settle in so make sure you give plenty of luke warm baths so she does not become dehydrated especially if she is not eating, i have three horsefields and three hatchling horsefields two weeks old,.I do monthly weight checks on them so i can monitor them closely which also helps ready for hibernation.,with the McIntyre ratio weigh your tort in gramms mark the point on the graph and measure the carapace then were the two points meet you will see which section your tort is in if its the low,average or high hope this helps.
Enjoy your new tort,
Jaynex

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

She will be fine Laura :) However it will be much better for her if you removed the wood chips and replace them with sterilised top soil which is much healthier and your horsefield can dig in it as she would in the wild.

It is great that she gets to spend a lot of time out in the sun, :sun: but can I just confirm that she is not in a vivarium when she indoors?

#10 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ah thank you! I need all the help I can get right now. She is nearly a year weights 50g and is 65mm this to me is under weight? What age do you hibernate yours?

#11 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

She is in a home made tortoise table no glass

#12 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

I am not sure who your last post is for Laura,however I will tell you my tortoise is just about to have his/her first birthday, we got him last October, so he has never been hibernated. We will not hibernate this coming winter either, but will consider it for the winter of 2013/14 if he is fit and healthy and a good weight, underweight torts should not be hibernated. Hope this helps, :)

She is in a home made tortoise table no glass

It sounds as if you know what you are doing :thumbup:

#13 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Ok thanks very much hope the birth goes well!
Laura

#14 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi Laura,
I have just checked your torts measurements against the McIntyre Chart and it seems your tort is too small to appear there. My only suggestion would be to aim for a weight gain of 2-3 grammes per month. Hopefully, your tort starts eating soon. Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

hi laura welcome to the forum :) i have a baby horsfield thats coming up a year old she will be hibernated this year but i did breed this baby and i know shes healthy.
i would leave hibernation this year gives you plenty of time to get to know your tortoise and time to do alot of research before you decide when you want to start hibernating :)
thought you might find this helpfull http://www.thetortoi.../russians04.htm

#16 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

She is not underweight at this size for a year Laura ;) HORSFIELDS are naturally greedy, given that in the wild they only have three to four months to cram in all the food that they can get. If this is allowed in captivity they will be very overweight and not even look like a horsfield should eventually, which is sad as it could well mean that we will be seeing tortoises with reduced lifespans due to not letting them grow at the rate that they have evolved to do. If you can get him outdoors it will help too ;) I'm taking it you got your tort from a breeder as this would be a reasonable weight if so. The graph doesn't really apply to captive reared horsfields either, as given that they will likely grow a different shape to wild ones, it can easily give a false reading as you have found. The graph was prepared given information from wild caught imports ;)

#17 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks very much I'll get to know her then this year then sort her hibernating out for next year when I'm sorted I'm going back to get her sister for her :-)

#18 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I got tilly ting a ling today my first tortie, shes a horsefield! Not v impressed with where she came hrom at mo, but she here to stay x sure you'l hear from me. She's young but older that the 6-8 wks... More like months x she bit stressed tonight so leaving her but tomorrow looks like vets for worm tabs and bath and weight and measure to start her book x

#19 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi Jessyprice,
Congratulations on your new tortoise . :) I wish you the best of luck with her. :happy: Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users