• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

hi everyone finally got George's new home built, all i need now is to get the top soil and everything else to put in it :D Jessica x

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Complete with penthouse apartment, what a lucky tort , that looks ideal. :)

#3 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

yer he seems to enjoy it :D hes been going in his house already :D he seems to enjoy going round and round in the bottom part haha! Jessica x

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yay! George's new home looks great Jessica. :) I'm sure he'll love it. :happy: Well done again! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

George's home look's great. :)
Jaynex

#6 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks Freddy and Jayne :D Jessica x

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

hi jessica looking good :thumbup: car,nt wait to see it finished you,ll have a happy tortoise :)

#8 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

hi Karen hopefully ill get it all sorted next week :D ill put pics up as soon as its finished tho :) Jessica x

#9 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hi Jessica,
George's new home looks just great, he will be one happy tort in there. :)

Paula x

#10 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Lovely new home :)

#11 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

I think Georges behaviour will change when you get him onto a decent substrate and give him the chance to choose his habitat for himself. Tortoise need to be able to choose their temps and humidity, which they can't do if they are kept on newspaper, which not only draws moisture away from the body, contributing to raised scutes and pyramiding but prevents contact with uvb too (it's also a danger if under the hot spot). He preferably needs to be outdoors at this time of year, to be able to be a tortoise properly.
Hope this helps.

#13 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi Sue George goes outside when its warm enough and im there with him, dont have much nice weather here :( Thanks Jessica X

#14 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Jessica I have just noticed where you are, you are 45 miles north of where I am. It's been dire hasn't it? Even the last couple of weeks when they were complaining it was 'too hot' down south, it wasn't warm enough for little torts to go out up here in the frozen north.

Apparently it is because the misplaced Jet Stream has now moved further north, but not as north as it normally sits and this is what caused the big weather divide.I am praying August will be better, but not holding up much hope. :(

#15 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yer we never have any good weather :( or if it looks ok you go out and its not that warm :( Jessica x

#16 cocktail&pimms

cocktail&pimms

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

it looks really gd :) i love the penthouse bed room :)

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

It really doesn't have to be that warm to keep torts outside. It's taking them in and out that doesn't work. It's awful summer weather here too, but I've not had a tort indoors since the end of May. All you need to do is give them somewhere to bask in their outside enclosure, such as a basking lamp, it doesn't need to be hot. Even when the weather is cool, if the sun is out your tortoise will be warm to the touch as this is how their shells 'work' . It's really not possible to keep tortoises succesfully in this country without outdoor electrics ;) Hope this helps

#18 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Looks like we need to sort out outdoor electrics then. :( our one year has been out four times so far this year, including two hours this morning. :sigh:

#19 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I cant agree more with Sue, I have mine outside with an ambient temp of 30C at noon, but it's still around 26C at 8am. I noticed that she was staying in her hut until around 11am when she was happy with the temp. I installed a 50W lamp which switches on at 7:30am and now she goes basking in it and by 9am she's already super active and eating. The lamp switches off at 10:30am, but by this time there will already be sun in the yard and she goes basking there and running around. Lamp will start again at 5pm till 6pm, this way she's up and around for most of the day :thumbup: Obviously there's her siesta from around 1:30pm-3:30pm which is NEVER missed. My argument is that even in high temps (like mine) outside electrics help ;)

#20 chuckie3010

chuckie3010

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Its not only the temp thats the problem with putting him out here! too many thieves around aswell so can only go out when i am with him also i havent built an outdoor run yet just his indoor one! But most of the time he likes to come out and have the run of the house haha! Jessica x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users