• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Is it ok for a tortoise to travel long distances in the car? As in 4 hours still in their table just worried about the vibrations of the car? Any ideas?
Laura

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi Laura,
It takes me about the same time to travel to my reptile vet via public transport. I usually place my tortoise in a large type shoebox which I fill with air holes and secure for the journey. This protects her and stops her jostling about. The darkness inside the box usually has a calming effect on my tortoise and keeps her settled until we reach our destination. I'm sure there are other methods too. Hope this helps.
Take care. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ah that's ok then thanks a lot :-)

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

No Problem Laura. I would also add to make sure your car is well ventilated. As you don't want your tort to become dehydrated.
Take care. ;)
Freddy :D

#5 Tilly12

Tilly12

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

No problem thanks :-D

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Make sure that any traveling box contains deep substrate and make sure it is as dark and cool as possible. This way they are in night time conditions and should settle for the whole journey. Don't make the mistake of keeping them warm as this encourages activity and therefore a stressful journey ;)
Hope this helps

#7 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Made that mistake a few times ..takes the wee critters a while to get back into routine.and routine is a s important for our sanity as much as the tortoise's health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users