9 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel

Rachel

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi,

We've recently got a 3 year old Hermanns. She's been outside quite a bit with the good weather but for the last 3 days she's been inside as it's too cold for her outside. She wakes up at normal time (about 7), basks for a bit then eats all her food, she's urinating and pooing, loving her baths. Seeming healthy in every respects (although I'm a complete novice so don't really know) but then she'll suddenly put herself to bed after only a few hours of being awake. Does anyone know why this is?

It would be great to know what normal juvenile hermanns behaviour is like. How long they should sleep for etc.

Should I have a hide for her in the table seperate from her bed area so she can rest in that rather than actually go to bed?

Please help I really don't know what to do!

Thank you

Rachel

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi Rachel,
I am not very experienced when it comes to the care of younger tortoises. However, I suspect that your tort might not be fully used to her enclosure which is why she is tucking herself away. It is also possible that your temperature gradient isn't quite right. It should be 33C at the basking end and 23C at the cooler end. Also, have you her lighting set up correctly, both UV and heat? They should be at one end of her enclosure. Sometimes a slight adjustment can improve things. I also think your little one could be missing the outdoor life. She will probably thrive again once she is outside. As long as she is eating, getting regular baths and passing urates and poo she is healthy enough.
Anyway Rachel, hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi Rachel in addition to what Freddy said, you could try feeding later in the day. Once full, some torts do take themselves off to bed.

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was having similar issues in the spring with my 2 year old. I think alot of it is down to chopping and changing from indoors to outdoors and the huge variations that we've had in temperature and light over this summer. One minute it's sunny and bright and the next overcast and pouring. I'm, sure they're all as confused with it all as we are! :blink:

Also make sure that your tortoise is getting a full spectrum of natural light in her indoor enclosure. I have a UVB bulb with my basking lamp, but since I added a second bulb.... for extra light at the other end of my tortoise table I found that my tortoise is now more active. I found that on overcast days the natural light in the room was having an impact on activity levels. :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

hi rachel welcome to the forum :)

#6 Rachel

Rachel

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I have got the heat at the right temperatures but she was in badly lit room (with her UVB light) and is now right next to a window so has lots of natural light now. I'm going to try feeding her a bit later today and see what happens.

Yesterday after she'd put herself back to bed it was suddenly really warm and sunny and I took her out of bed and outside which she seemed to love as she had a great time exploring. Is it ok to wake her if she goes of to bed in the middle of the day if it's sunny or to give her a bath?

I'm so glad I found this website. There's so much to learn and I think I will be posting a lot of questions!

Rachel x

#7 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

You may have found the answer Rachel, let's hope so :thumbup:

There's so much to learn and I think I will be posting a lot of questions!

Bring 'em on, we are always happy to help where we can. :)

#8 Rachel

Rachel

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I haven't found the answer! I've waited to feed her later in the day but she just goes to bed before her food. I really don't know what to do. Her tortoise table is 4 feet by 2 and as she's only 3 years old it seems big enough for her paricularly as she's spent all her life until now in a vivarium in a garden centre. She's got rocks, pebbles, a little log to climb over and a couple of fake plants. I've bought her a little log tunnel and hope that she'll rest under that during the day. Please help!

Thank you

Rachel

#9 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hi Rachel,
My guess is she has developed some bad habits from living previously in a vivarium. Many tortoises in such conditions sleep all day. It may take her some time to break the habit and get used to her new enclosure. She sounds healthy enough. So, I don't think there is anything wrong there. You may have to be patient with her. Also, any chance you get I would put her outside on warmer, sunnier days. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Rachel

Rachel

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thank you so much Freddy.
Rachel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic