3 replies to this topic

#1 Hermylady

Hermylady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hello

This is my first posting with you. I am hoping that someone can offer some help as I am reading different articles and getting conflicting advice on how big my Hermann should be. I have a 2 year old who weighs 115g and measures approx 8.5cm in length. When I put this information into the Jackson Ratio it says that he/she is underweight. However, when I look at other websites they say that a 2 year old should be about the length of your ring finger. In my case that is approximately 6cm to 7cm which is quite a bit smaller. Can anyone help? Am I looking at the wrong Jackson Ratio calculator? Is there one for youngsters? Just wondering whether I should be feeding him up a bit more or whether I am feeding him too much. I obviously want him to grow a steady weight. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi Tracey,

Here is the appropriate Jackson Ratio Chart from this forum

http://www.hermann-t...hatchlings.html

It appears to show that your tortoise is indeed underweight.

Are you sure you are measuring your tort correctly. You need to measure the length of its shell underside or plastron.

Remember also, that the chart is only used as a general guide.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

To be honest charts are only ever as good as your tortoise is. They only really work for wild tortoises, as captive bred ones can vary so much that a false reading nearly always happens. As your tortoise is very big for it's age (compared with growth in the wild - would be less than 40 grams) the results are never going to tie in with the chart. The ring finger guide is much more like it but still bigger than it would be in the wild when grown smoothly and slowly. The shell needs to be totally smooth, dense (with no thickening) and nicely domed, to fit the jackson ratio chart. Oliphant Jackson based the chart on tortoises that he was measuring in the wild.
Hope this helps ;)

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Also the sub species vary quite significantly in size too. The Testudo hermanni hermanni are the smallest and the Testudo hermanni boettgeri are naturally bigger. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users