- - - - -

Substrate

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

It's very drying, so doesn't help with thermoregulation or hydration at all. It's best left for snakes IMHO ;)

#22 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hello I have gone for a tray of sterilised Top Soil along with Aspen in the Bed / Play area, I have the soil under the Basking Lamp for safety and nothing for MrT to climb on their, so he dosent capsize! under the lamp.
Interestingly Mr T sleeps under the Aspen and I feel it makes life a bit more intersting the different substrate a bit like the wild, Thats just my thoughts but I am a complete beginner but reserched substates on line.
The Shredded Aspen appears to give him good leverage whilst walking and as you say is light, but suprisingly stable when buried into it.

Cheers

Mark

#23 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Is there a best way of buying top soil to go in my tortoise table?

#24 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Just bags of topsoil from a garden centre, or B&Q, places like that. This time of year it is usually VERY wet!!!! So best to get it before you need it and leave it out of the weather!!! X x x hugs x x

#25 K8tyr3000

K8tyr3000

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thanks everyone will hopefully replacing the current substrate I have to this. Was told the wood clippings was fine when I bought our little Rolo but after viewing everyone's post I now know its not.

#26 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I was sold a substrate for tilly but didnt get to open the bag before taking it back telling them i heard it not suitable and changing to top soil, tilly is very happy with this x

#27 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Good for you, what did the shop say when you returned it? :D

#28 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hello
I always use top soil for my horsfields and for my redfoot i use top soil mixed with some repti bark to try and keep some moisture in to create higher humidity levels which seems to be working well.
Jaynex

#29 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

They played bit dumb but gave me a voucher and i gave him a lesson in tortie care, the lady behind me was just bout to buy some but changed her mind lol, but iused it to buy tilly some bits and bobs, including a good todtie book x was lookin at tilly tonight and she seems to have grown into her shell if that makes sence, the overlap between top and bottom almost gone and she feels solid now :--)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users