• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well tommrow will be a great day,Mr T the Tortoise is coming home to his New House all Varnished lamps set etc. Will try apost afew pics.
Thanks all for your help/

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

hi mark looking forward to seeing pictures of mr t :)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hi Mark,
Look forward to hearing more about Mr T when he arrives and seeing his pics. You must be all so excited. Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

What a great day,Mr T is home and "Running" around his table.The chap in the shop said he will probably lie low for a couple of days,Not Mr T he is out and about and watching everything we are delighted with him.Pics to follow

#5 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

sounds like Mr T has settled in well,'CONGRATULATIONS'looking forward to seeing pictures. :)
Jaynex

#6 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Couldnt load pic

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Chrissyan

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

morning thats great sounds like hes settled in :thumbup:

#8 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

He had agreat sleep,put his light on at 0730 popped his head out a little stretch 5 mins later under his lamp for a "recharge" now he is doing laps of his Table again. Out of interest I see now why people say the bigger the table the better as they are some walkers.
Could someone advise me how to load a pic..

#9 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Photos are uploaded for you :) The best way to put photos on the forum is to 'host' them in an image hosting site first, there are many free hosting sites to choose from like Photo Bucket etc. http://tinypic.com/ is an easy one to use. First you must resize the photo, photos on a forum should never be more than 800 x 600 pixels, a very easy beginners one to use is http://www.resize2mail.com/

Mr T looks great, his table is nice. I can't help wishing you had gone for 100% sterilised top soil for him though, what is that other stuff on his table? What is his bowl made of? If it is moulded plastic, you will need to change it for real slate to keep his beak trim, a flat piece is good.

The only other thing I would say, is does he have enough hides? I assume there is a covered hide for him to sleep in, a nice addition might be a small terracotta plant pot on it's side, or can he get inside that log? Also he might like a cuttle fish bone to nibble on. :)

#10 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Chris Thanks for your help,I was using Photobucket and had no luck,
I have put aspen at the "bed" end so its like the wild different substrate to explore, he slept in it last night as I was interested to see what he would choose Soil or Aspen.
The log is large tunnel, the end nearest in the pic is a "Bed" area which he can go in or out,and has a lid you can see the knobs on top.
I will get some slate today and a bit of cuttle fish I have also put a tort block in a calcium block.
We let him have a little paddle in some warm water which he seemed to enjoy.
Is it usual to get a new Tortoise that is so liveley its as if hes been with us for ages as he is out and about and dosent appear to be scared of anything.

#11 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I am not sure about the Aspen, but everything else seems good. :) Torts are territorial and often they take badly to having their territories changed. New owners are often worried because their tort hides, sleeps a lot & doesn't eat, in fact this was my experience too. I think you are extremely lucky that you have such a robust and adaptable tort, he seems a right character. I think he will be full of mischief. ;)

#12 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi thanks for the encouragement,I did a lot of research before we bought him hence trying the two substrates to keep life interesting for him but obviously will watch it closely.
I am amazed how happy he appears he has hardly stopped walking about in a circut at considerable "waddle" with the odd waddle through the water dish and what I find even more amazing is that when he was picked up for his bath,he popped his head in and then out and my son gently stroked the top of his head and he seeemed to love that.

He has started eating the Mrs gave him some washed dandylion leaves and he munched the lot!!

Out of interest I have sent for a worm test kit to get him checked out.(the Tortoise LOL)

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

hi hes lovely :) i find all tortoises are different some settle straight away, some dont like the change my hermanns dont seem to mind any thing but i have an adult male horsfield that sulks even if i put new soil in his table, hes been like this for years :)

#14 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Well thats day one and an awesome one it was,

My Mrs lifelong ambition was to get a Tortoise and now she has Mr T, I couldnt believe how much happiness a little tortoise could bring to a family.
He certainly is full of beans and as I said we feel like he has been with us for along time, not just 24hrs ,allowing my son to stroke his head having his bath and eating out of my little boys hand.
At 19:30 we put out his light and off to his bed he went buried himself in his"bed" area in the Aspen and off to sleep. We cant wait till the morning to see what hes up to next.
I kinow lots of people browse forums before buying but if you are and thinking of getting a Tort do your homework and go for it, as you can see from the posts above their are a lot of wonderful people about that will help you on your journey..

Thanks
Mark & Family ,especially Mr T

#15 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think you have it all covered Mark, just makes sure he gets some 'real uv' whenever he can :sun: Difficult I know, also be aware of the salmonella risk, make sure everyone, especially your little lad, wash their hands after touching Mr T, we also keep some antiseptic hand sanitiser on the shelf above our torts table to pass to guests, it's easier than saying " Now wash your hands" to an adult. :D

Mr T is going to have a great life in your household :winkgrin: Oh and you may want to get a timer for his lights.

#16 MeImNot

MeImNot

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Chelonia in general
    \m/

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Your research has paid off...ur well prepared and the tort is happy :D

I would only add a couple of big stones so that it makes the table more interesting for him...mine gets mad going around/over all the stones and sniffing etc. Just make sure that you dont complicate it under the basking lamp because if he topples under the lamp its not good. Maybe you could start adding stones slowly and see how he reacts.

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

What a great day,Mr T is home and "Running" around his table.The chap in the shop said he will probably lie low for a couple of days,Not Mr T he is out and about and watching everything we are delighted with him.Pics to follow

The stress of moving them to a new home does one of two things - they either hide away or go into turbo mode, looking for an escape route until they settle. They need very deep soil if one of the turbo ones so they can dig down to escape ;) They will come up again when settled more. Hope this helps

#18 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Mr T is only burying at bed time otherwise he is on the prowl and has a bask under his lamp, its an excellent point that possibly at first he was looking to escape as he was trying to climb at the corners of the table its unbelievable how agile they are. I think with all the grub and care hes getting its me that will be moving into the Tortoise table too LOL
He was out for a little while and when he was in the Mrs hands he did a pee which I found hilarious :rofl: until I noticed it all down my shorts,quite funny sparaying your shorts with Dettox and the Mrs saying poor Mr T,what about me. :rofl:
Sun is out so he may well get his first look at the Big World :sun: , I am planning putting a webcam on his house but dont know how difficult that is to do possibly difficullt for me who couldnt post pics :wub: .
Anyway thats Mr Ts news will update soon on the next adventure..

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

It's lovely that he is settling so well, but it might be a good idea to leave him to it for a few days. Urinating on people is also a sign of stress. When I sell my babies I always ask people to let them settle in for a few days before handling, as it is the over handled ones that usually end up with a few starter problems. If from a pet outlet, he will have come from a wild type environment and then into a pet shop environment with all the noise and bustle and forced temps and now into another different environment where to be honest he really needs to be left to settle into his new surroundings. Stressed tortoises are the ones most likely to suffer from various illness's, not always straight away but in a few weeks or months. Hope this helps and it's not a criticism, just a bit of friendly advice ;)

#20 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I think with all the grub and care hes getting ....

Enough tort friendly weeds and/or flowers to cover the size of his shell daily, (no fruit & no veg) be very careful not to overfeed and cause pyramiding of his shell.. In the wild he has to walk for miles to search for food and would not always be successful, plus he would not eat at all for between four and five months of the year when in hibernation. :yawn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users