• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shelly

shelly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

hi just got a 6 yr old tortie saturday, who we decided to call shelly. have noticed she seems to have bubbles coming from her eyes. now i changes the bulb yesterday as she came with a table but the bulb was only a little one and didnt seem to heat up much, felt cold to the touch. have also started to add calcium to her food. any advice would be great. am taking her to vet this eve for check up.

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Welcome to the forum. :)

Respiratory tract infections can cause bubbles from the nose.... The bubbles from the eyes could indicate that your tortoise has some kind of infection due to being kept in the wrong conditions. Get it to a reptile vet asap for a check up. In the mean time keep your tortoise warm.....You need to ensure that the ambient temperature is 30-32oc in order for your tortoise to be able to remain healthy.

#3 shelly

shelly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

thanks kelly, yeah i changed the bulb yesterday to a 100w. and shelly is a lot warmer and seems more active. have a appointent at vet thursday, my vet as he says is not a expert so has recommended a reptile vet to me. the bulb i bought is one that ppl use to keep pups etc, its a red bulb is this ok. also have a uvb lite this is on a timer from 9am till 7pm is this ok. also diet, im hearing conflicting advise. im giving fruits and greens as was told by previous owner but i have been told not to use lettuce, is this correct.
sorry for all the questions i do want to do the best for her

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

hi welcome to the forum :wave: i dont keep red foot tortoises so would,nt want to answer your questions and give you the wrong advice so i found you this to read might help :)http://www.google.co...c_rN_LI5hYR9THQ

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Here's an interesting thread on the Tortoise Trust website too, which may be of interest to you...... lots of advice on the care and health of Red Foot Tortoises. x

http://www.tortoiset...tortoise#p66009

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum
I have a redfoot tort called speedy which i rehomed nearly two years ago if you need any help email me.I have a 100 watt basking bulb and a 5% uvb in his home,how have you got on at the vets?hope Shelly is okay give her a chin tickle from me.
Jaynex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users