• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

I have had my 2 yer old hermann tortoise for one week now and have handled him a lot but am very I'll now with terrible diarrhea could I have got this from him???

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

hi nicky welcome to the forum :) as with every thing theres always a small risk but with correct hygiene in place ie washing your hand after you handle your tortoise i would say the risk is very small your more likely to get sanmonella from food incorrectly stored or cooked :)

#3 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi well I had some salmon maybe not in the best restaurant but with my new little tortie I do think I have been handling him a lot as he is so cute I just wonder if I have my diarrhea due to him which has put me off a bit but I don't want to get rid of him this early do I?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

no i woul,nt get rid of him it could be any thing thats upset your stomach could be even just a bug.
just see how you go and make sure you wash your hands after you handle him :)

#5 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Salmonella is present in the gut flora of many animals, reptiles no less than some. It is more closely associated in terms if transmission with freshwater turtle types. Many of the issues refer to handling and hygiene issues. I keep both torts and terrapins/turtles and am of the opinion that the tortoise with its semi arid habitat is of minimum risk. That said, never wash ones hands in anything less than soap and very warm water after any handling activities and keep the substrate clear of faecal material :crazy: . We have dogs, a cat, guinea pigs,chickens, freshwater turtles, tortoises and fish tanks. Without question the cats and the chickens are far filthier in terms of what has to be done for theam than a poor auld tortoise.......as for the tummy bug, if the restaurant wasnt the cleanest, stock not moving and the staff not the most observant of hygiene than thats the most likely source. :)

#6 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Thank you so much for help and advice. I had a tortoise as a child and was never ill and now older and mrs clean house I guess I was blaming him but he is so sweet and looking at his little head I am sure he wouldn't intentionally make me poorly. I keep him in a tortoise table with the woody stuff so I can see his little poohs and I pick them out with a tissue, but I will definitely wash my hands more of course it has been roasting hot and too much sun doesn't help.. Do they get used to you?
Thanks

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I doubt too, that it was the tortoise. Yes, they do get used to you, but pet shop ones take longer as they are generally from wild conditions and have also suffered a lot of stress between leaving theri native country and getting to you :( When I go into the garden when I get home, I am soon surrounded by torts, but am under no illusion that they love me, just see me as a bringer of food ;)

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

hi when you say woody stuff do you mean wood chip as a substrate, if you do its not very good for torts you would be better changing it to top soil better alround for your tortoise :)

#9 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Karen hi
I was told by the tortoise centre in basildon to use the dry stuff but my local pet shop said use soil substrate and I got some but then little Sheldon got so dirty in his eyes and everywhere I fel sorry for him so I changed back to the pale beige wood shaving type bedding. Is it gods to let them have a wander outside while I am there obviously. I just feel he might be bored? I am not used to the tortoise way of life!! Nicky:)

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

hi nicky some pet shops centres dont give out the best advice its best for your tortoise to be on soil but dont let it dry out water it regular that way it holds moisture which is good for your tortoise to dig down into on a night, shavings and wood chip are to dry :)
yes the best place for him is outside he,ll get natural sun you could look into making him an out door enclosure maybe next year as the weather will change soon.
have a look at the link on sues post (wizzasmum) tortsmad theres loads of great info on there sues been keeping tortoises for 30 years might help.
if you need any more help just ask :thumbup:

#11 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks
Xx

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

If you got your tortoise from there Nicky, I would get a faecal sample to the vets for testing. Many tortoise parasites are zoonotic and those from pet shops, especially those buying from certain outlets (can't mention where lol), will be carrying far more than those that are captive bred in the UK. Unfortunately pet shops don't tell people this and many people must pick up things in this way. I would not look into making a permenent outdoor housing this year, but as Karen says, it's a good idea to make it first on the list for spring. I'd avoid all dry pet shops substrates like the plague to be honest, they will take moisture from the shell and contribute to pyramiding, not something you want in a healthy tortoise ;) Hope this helps

#13 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Suexx

#14 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have another question today anyway, and, that is' is it ok to use aspen bedding little Sheldon seems to like it and bury's himself in it and I have a slate tile and a little bridge house for him?
Nickyx newby

#15 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hello Nicky
hope your feeling better soon.i always keep some anti bacterial sprays and anti bacterial hand gels ideal for when visitors come to the house.
Jaynex

#16 Nicky

Nicky

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yes,I have that spray. I just want to love my little Sheldon though but today I have been better as each time I go near him or feed or touch him I wash my hands. What do you think of aspen bedding it seems so much cleaner as I used changed to the sand and mixture and what a laugh it was everywhere in his food his water bowl I think he had even in his water bowl and come out and gone in again just to make a mess and he was covered and bits on his face and I was worried that he would get sore.
Nx

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

morning nicky ive never used aspen before but from what ive read would say its the same to dry and does,nt hold moisture :)
if before you used a sand/soil mix the sand was probably the problem it can cause eye problems its better to just use soil :)
have a look at this post on substrate http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=7773 might give you some answers

#18 Mr T

Mr T

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi I use Half Topsoil (Sterilised) and Half "Shredded Aspen" it also comes in pellets wouldnt reccomend that as its quite fluid and their feet may slide as they try to move.
In the Hot end of my Table I have soil in a large plastic container,easy to lift out and change and it the cool area I have Shredded Aspen that is also where I feed Mr T and where his "Toys" are.
In my short experience I would most definetly include Topsoil as Mr T loves to dig and "Play" in it. and probably regulates his Temp as well.
However I think the Aspen end is good as its a different substrate and mimicks possibly the wild.
As I have mentioned I have very limited experience but just my views afer searching the net.

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'm glad he is liking the soil, perfect substrate. Have to say though that aspen in no way replicates what tortoises would use in the wild as it provides no use for tortoises, more for mammals which go for stuff with insulation properties. As reptiles are cold blooded, insulation serves no purpose whatsoever as they just take on the temp of what is around them be it air or substrate - hope that makes sense. When watching tortoises in the wild they tend to avoid dry loose stuff and dig down into solid substrates, which helps with growth ;) Hatchlings in the wild tend to go for plant roots, which are very wet overnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users