• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 green.eyes

green.eyes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi, i posted on here the other day asking what subspecies our tortoises are, under the name muel1991.

I can't log in to that one now for some reason, so i have made a new account, and have got some better pictures.

It was suggested that i looked at their paperwork to determine the country of origin, but we don't have any paperwork for them.. They were given to us by our neighbours before they emigrated and all they said was they think they are Hermanns!

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi, i posted on here the other day asking what subspecies our tortoises are, under the name muel1991.

I can't log in to that one now for some reason, so i have made a new account, and have got some better pictures.

It was suggested that i looked at their paperwork to determine the country of origin, but we don't have any paperwork for them.. They were given to us by our neighbours before they emigrated and all they said was they think they are Hermanns!

Thanks for your help.

You will need to attach plastron (underneath shell) pics of both of the tortoises and clearer pics of above too ;)

#3 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi green.eyes I am sorry about your earlier thread, we have been having a lot of problem with spammers and I think our spam filters didn't like your other name and it got deleted. :rolleyes:

I an not an expert in identifying, so I will leave it to someone more experienced, are you sure have the sex of your torts? Has the female ever laid any eggs?

All Hermann's should really have their paperwork: http://www.tortoisec...rtoise law.aspx without it you could not sell them, or breed from them and sell the offspring.

Do you have a contact number for your ex neighbours? If so it might be an idea to ask for a letter stating that they were gifted to you. :)

As Sue said please post a photo of the plastron of the other one and good clear full photos of both their shells, the differences between the sub species is quite small.

#4 green.eyes

green.eyes

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, ill put on some pictures when i'm back at home again, probably tomorrow some time. I don't think we have any contact details for the previous owners, although i will look into it as the paperwork would be useful going from what you have said!

Yes the female has laid eggs, her first ever batch came 5 weeks ago today! We have got them in a small incubator at the moment, in a tub with vermiculite and around 31-32 degrees so hopefully in a few weeks we could have a couple more tortoises!

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I agree with Ozric. They look like Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri or Eastern Hermanns to me too. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users