4 replies to this topic

#1 Embo81

Embo81

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi all,
Been a lurker for ages but never posted. I was hoping for some advice. My torty seems to have lost his sparkle. He used to be a right monkey. Now he never comes out of his hide. He buries himself and if I don't wake him he doesn't come out. I place him under his lamp and within 5 minutes he's hiding again. He eats but only if I wake him, then hides again. His temps are correct in his tort table. He does the exact same thing when outside. I don't think he likes his uv bulb as if that's not on he stays out longer. Could the light be hurting him? He used to be such a lively little guy, climbing and getting into mischief, now he never moves. His mouth is nice and pink, he has no discharge anywhere, loves a bath etc. been like it for a few months now and with hibernation coming up I'm worried. Was hoping someone might be able to suggest something. Hope he's not in some sort of pain.
Thanks
Emily x

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hi Emily,
Sounds like you are doing everything just right. However if you have been moving him indoors and outdoors a lot the constant change in environment could be affecting him and making him more withdrawn. I would try to keep him in his indoor setting for the time being particularly as it is nearing the end of the season and hibernation is approaching. There are many reasons why a tortoise may be inactive or lethargic- worms, constipation, illness or even changes in the environment are but a few. I think it might be a good idea to take him to the vet for a health check if things don't improve especially if you are considering hibernation. That way you can make an informed decision and have peace of mind at the same time. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

hi emily welcome to the forum :wave:
i agree i would just leave him inside now, does your table have plenty of light.
i would take the hide out and see if it makes a difference.
also have you had him tested for worms :)

#4 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Emily,

How long have you had him and did you buy him from a breeder or a petshop? Some of the little petshop guys have heavy worm burdens. Your vet could soon rule this out by testing a poo sample.

Paula x

#5 Embo81

Embo81

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

Thanks all for the nice welcome.
Ive had torty for about 4/5 years now and he's not been like this before. Last year was his first hibernation, I only put him down for about 8 weeks. The vet told me not to but after reading up I thought it was best.
I think I will check him for worms, he hasn't ever been tested for it I dont think. He's never had any issues, vet always says how nice and perky he is, but I have to admit he hasn't been for a visit for quite a while. Am going to book him in on monday.
Thanks again everyone.
Emily x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users