15 replies to this topic

#1 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi,
I've had my two torts a few days and one started rubbing its eye literally the morning after we got home and had 'gunk' in its eye, since then it rubs it's eyes when it wakes up and it's 'right eyelid' looks puffy. I had origionally put hemp in but took that out and put paper down, I am now trying a sand soil mix. The eye is open and I have been bathing daily. Do I need to worry or is it just irritated by the hemp?
Please help.

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hi There,
My advice would be to keep bathing the eye until the puffiness has gone and the eye is clear. It could be the hemp or the sand in the soil that is causing the irritation. I would also switch to an all topsoil substrate. Hope this helps. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

hi i agree with freedy i would just use topsoil with out the sand, sand can cause eye problems :)

#4 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Ok, thanks
It looks a little less swollen today but still being rubbed. Is it not normal at all when they wake up to rub their eyes a little?
I will continue bathing, at what point do I visit the vet? I can worry far too much and I don't want to cause stress by travelling.
Thanks again

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

hi i would change your substrate and keep giving your tort a bath if this does,nt seem to help ive been told you can buy eye drops from the chemist called hypromellose (or known as artificial tears) this will help but tell the chemist there for you not your tortoise or they wont sell you it :)

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Try watering the substrate too, this sounds like an irritation problem caused by dry substrates.

#7 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ah ok,
I will try wetting the substrate then if that doesn't work I will look into getting eye drops, I trust they are completely safe? I hate eye drops!
I'm just wondering if a trip to the vet is an idea as my gut has been telling me something's not right.
I know I've only had them less than a week and I've never cared for a tortoise before but the behaviour, activity and body language are so different from each other.
I took a pic while I was bathing it (sorry no names yet!) 'she'? just sat there with her front legs folded backwards and looked sleepy, now either that was one nice bath or she feels awful? My other tort baths, drinks then looks for the exit, not ever has it laid like that! I will get it uploaded tomorrow.
I think I may go grey with worry by the end of the month!

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I would give it a few more days and try the eye drops. If there is no improvement then its off to the vets. She could have an eye infection.
Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I've made an appointment with the vet just in case. It seems to only be when 'she' wakes up that the eye irritates and is swollen, as the day goes on the eye rubbing stops. Well we'll soon see. I tried to upload some pics of the eye but pc is not working again, will do when I can, I would like to know what you think just by looking at it.
I will try again tomorrow.

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I've made an appointment with the vet just in case. It seems to only be when 'she' wakes up that the eye irritates and is swollen, as the day goes on the eye rubbing stops. Well we'll soon see. I tried to upload some pics of the eye but pc is not working again, will do when I can, I would like to know what you think just by looking at it.
I will try again tomorrow.

What do you mean by front legs pointing backwards, all tortoises front legs point backwards when resting.basking?

#11 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes, thanks. I looked at other member's pics and saw that! I was just worried as it looked so odd.
I feel alot happier now and have booked a vet visit, just to check. Hopefully pics of them will work. here goes

#12 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

I cant upload pics from here so I will go to gallery and try.

#13 jessyprice

jessyprice

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

I had new tort last thur, she more worrying at the mo than my 6 & 9 yr old x she still not eating alot but loves her baths i need to get her to eat to take worming medication as she has them but she's not taken with these dandilion leaves xx

#14 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

I had new tort last thur, she more worrying at the mo than my 6 & 9 yr old x she still not eating alot but loves her baths i need to get her to eat to take worming medication as she has them but she's not taken with these dandilion leaves xx

Have you tried a bit of cucumber or even a little bit of strawberry as a tempting treat, just to hide medication there.

#15 gwen

gwen

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have a year old hermanns and a few weeks back she starting rubbing her eyes a lot, I wet her soil so I just started wetting it more and I bought a humid hide for her as well. took her to the vet to have her eyes checked and he gave me cream incase there was an infection but I have not had to use it as the extra water and humid hide appears to have worked.

#16 p0ppyred

p0ppyred

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Gwen,
I did visit vet and we have eye drops, thought at first it was an eye ulcer as this can be common but may have a scratched eye from rubbing. Antibiotic drops twice a day. Seems happier and appetite has increased so I'm glad I went. I have been wetting substrate too which generates a lot of interest, I wonder if they think it's raining!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users